"Hidden" injury

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Hi all! Posted yesterday because my poor pullets freaked out in their run yesterday and four of the five had blood on their beaks, one had an ever-so-slightly cracked beak. They all seem more or less fine today but a little more lethargic.

The one with the slight beak damage is showing some out of the ordinary behavior. She hops on my lap any time I squat near her without fail, and she's not doing that at all. When I put her up on my leg, she didn't want to "roost" or lie down fully like she always does - she stays slightly standing. She's eating food but not as voraciously as before. Some of it might be her being in pain and trying to look stoic, but worried I'm missing something.

Could this be normal behavior? I'm not seeing any wounds outside of the beak, so either that's bothering her or there's something else, and I'm not sure what to look for. Thank you!

(Edited to add: Should I bring her inside? No one is picking on her but worried about not seeing the issue if she's around the other chickens.)

Last edited:
Hi all! Posted yesterday because my poor pullets freaked out in their run yesterday and four of the five had blood on their beaks, one had an ever-so-slightly cracked beak. They all seem more or less fine today but a little more lethargic.

The one with the slight beak damage is showing some out of the ordinary behavior. She hops on my lap any time I squat near her without fail, and she's not doing that at all. When I put her up on my leg, she didn't want to "roost" or lie down fully like she always does - she stays slightly standing. She's eating food but not as voraciously as before. Some of it might be her being in pain and trying to look stoic, but worried I'm missing something.

Could this be normal behavior? I'm not seeing any wounds outside of the beak, so either that's bothering her or there's something else, and I'm not sure what to look for. Thank you!

(Edited to add: Should I bring her inside? No one is picking on her but worried about not seeing the issue if she's around the other chickens.)
I would leave her with the others.
If she was severely frightened it may take a while for her to calm down. She's likely on high alert and doesn't want to be handled.
Give her time. Just go sit with them like you normally do. When she's ready to socialize she will.

Back
Top Bottom