1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hidden nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daniek, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Daniek

Daniek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    I have not been getting as many eggs lately that I thought I should be. Started looking around in a lot of places but did not find anything. Today I spotted a white egg (Lakenvelder) and lo and behold, I found a secret hidden nest, It had 3 brown eggs (sexlink) and 4 white ones. I figure the oldest is probably a week old. I just wonder if they are safe to eat. Guess I will be doing a float test on them.

2. chrisnjenny

chrisnjenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    oklahoma
    I found three in my yard one day and wasn't sure how long they had been there. I knew it couldn't have been long maybe a few days at most as i travel that area of the yard quite frequently. At the time I was a brand new chicken owner and all I knew is it wasnt from my chickens so I discarded them. I now know I have frequent visitor chickens from my neighbors house and If i had known then what I know now I would have cracked them and if all looked ok I would have eaten them. I know they stay good for long periods of time indoors without being refrigerated I guess outdoors could depend on the temp. but i'm not for sure.

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Put them in a glass if water. If they float they're bad. It depends on how hot your temps have been recently.

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    stop free ranging fora bit.Ithelps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by