Hiding eggs or not laying?

NurseChicken79

Chirping
Jul 28, 2019
My flock of 7 has recently either stopped laying or they're hiding their eggs. they were in the run/coop for 2 days and there was only one egg. they free range in the backyard during most days, but they've always laid in the box. I've looked over/under/thru everywhere, but not even a hint of a nest or egg. prior to the last 2-3 weeks, they've given 4-7 eggs per day. Is this normal?

Depends upon how much sunlight/artificial light that they are receiving daily, your weather conditions, etc.
If you're doing a headcount nightly to make sure that everyone is in bed and the count is right, then it's unlikely that they'd be hiding eggs (this would eliminate the broody hen theory).
An option you didn't consider would be an egg eater, either in your flock, or a predator that prefers eggs.

You might want to rehome them to the coop by locking them in for a week without free range time to ensure that they've not selected a new laying spot out in the wild blue yonder.

Last edited:
Depends upon how much sunlight/artificial light that they are receiving daily, your weather conditions, etc.
If you're doing a headcount nightly to make sure that everyone is in bed and the count is right, then it's unlikely that they'd be hiding eggs (this would eliminate the broody hen theory).
An option you didn't consider would be an egg eater, either in your flock, or a predator that prefers eggs.

You might want to rehome them to the coop by locking them in for a week without free range time to ensure that they've not selected a new laying spot out in the wild blue yonder.
I'll try it. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshots_2021-12-17-15-59-59.png
    Screenshots_2021-12-17-15-59-59.png
    551.8 KB · Views: 7
Sometimes it depends on the breed and age. A lot of breeds practically stop during the winter (less daylight) but if you hatch where they hit laying age in the fall or winter. They'll lay most winter long the first year and take winter breaks thereafter.

If more than a year old they may be starting to molt or it is the light. Hiding eggs does happen as we just found one with a dozen eggs in it and they just finished molting. We do add extra light over the winter.

Back
Top Bottom