High Heat = less eggs?

Quote:
Corn does not raise body heat as the myth pertains to say.

Nope, but you know... Corn makes them FAT. don't believe me try it, and what does fat do? Clogs arteries, makes you sweat, heat up, and you fall over dead of a heart attack or heat stroke.. Those are pretty much proven facts,

And after my dad (who raised chickens since he was a little kid because my grandfather and great grandfather had them) told me stories of corn making them fat, plus causing heart attacks, etc.. I tested it to see since people here said it does nothing, and ever since i fed them corn mine were chunky, and yes.. killed my hens egglaying. I noticed it when my father would feed corn as well but i wanted to experience it first hand. One reason i always suggest crack corn, and best in winter only.. Sorry if i come off as a jerk just not in that great of a mood today.

-Daniel

PS. Another reason i suggest crack corn is whole corn can choke chickens, even large fowl.. I can't count the number of chickens we've had die from feeding whole corn. Along with corn making them fat it can contribute to, Prolapsed vent... Most people who have chickens couldn't even tell you if they are fat or not truthfully.

Last edited:
It's been nasty hot here - over 100 for a week now and very hot at night, too. My hens are laying like gangbusters. I got nine eggs today from nine hens, a first! I've been getting eight. I have noticed that if they have an off day and I only get four or five, the next day I'll get eight. They seem to alternate good laying days and off days. Maybe you'll find more eggs out there tomorrow.

I'm in your same area. 90's? try 100's - all week long!

We've gone from 12 eggs a day down to 2; some days 5 but some one is eating a couple which is totally new. Not even sure it's a hen. The snipes are invading everything - our vegetable garden, our water gardens, & our chicken yard. Guess they are getting desperate since all the water is drying up around here.

My hens have nearly quit here in NM.....................
........HOT HOT HOT~
........NO EGGS EGGS EGGS~
hit.gif

Quote:
Ditto, very very true. it has been in the triple digits here in Devils country for the past week and my large breed chickens have all but said the heck with the egg layin.

AL

Quote:

I was waiting on that to come up. Its a big discussion on some cattle forums too.

Quote:

I was waiting on that to come up. Its a big discussion on some cattle forums too.

Unfortunately, I'd rather not waste my time arguing whether or not it is true. I remember a thread waaaaaay back that had some good information about how it didn't, but I can't seem to find it.

Back
Top Bottom