High Heat !!!

Gypsygirl

In the Brooder
May 8, 2016
North Carolina
Hi everyone. I'm here to bring some bad news. I live in NC and we are having so much heat.The humidity is super high and I already lost 2 of my chickens. Trust me I have done everything that you can think of. They have 3fans and I water down their run. Does anyone know what else I can do? I am worried that I will lose more. I do hope and pray that this wont happen. Please if you have any ideas email me, I would so much appriciate it. Thank you.

My chickens don’t eat much when it’s really hot. So first thing in the morning & before bed when it’s cooled down, I give them some feed mixed in water (only enough that they will eat, no left overs that can get moldy & make them sick.) I don’t give any scratch or snacks (that are low in nutrition) I do give a small amount of cold watermelon as a treat during the heat of the day. Make sure they have shade. I also freeze water in milk jugs & place those in the run. I’ll sometimes see the chickens hanging out by them or drinking the cold droplets of condensation as the ice melts. You can place one in front of a fan to make the air a little cooler. I change their water at least once during the heat of the day. And put frozen water bottles inside the water to keep it cool longer. I know I’ve seen other discussions on BYC on this subject. Used the search forum button to look up those to get more ideas. So sorry for your loss.

My chickens don’t eat much when it’s really hot. So first thing in the morning & before bed when it’s cooled down, I give them some feed mixed in water (only enough that they will eat, no left overs that can get moldy & make them sick.) I don’t give any scratch or snacks (that are low in nutrition) I do give a small amount of cold watermelon as a treat during the heat of the day. Make sure they have shade. I also freeze water in milk jugs & place those in the run. I’ll sometimes see the chickens hanging out by them or drinking the cold droplets of condensation as the ice melts. You can place one in front of a fan to make the air a little cooler. I change their water at least once during the heat of the day. And put frozen water bottles inside the water to keep it cool longer. I know I’ve seen other discussions on BYC on this subject. Used the search forum button to look up those to get more ideas. So sorry for your loss.

Hamian, thank you for your reply. I will do that with the ice. I didn't even think of that. That's a great idea. Since you are from TX you know how hot it can get. Thank you again for getting back to me so fast and thank you for your input which I am going to take this morning when I go out to take care of my babies.

What breeds do you have? Some just don’t do well in the heat.

A mister could help but not if the humidity is very bad. What is your coop design like? Open air or mostly closed? Do they have plenty of shade?

You can also make a backwoods AC unit by filling a styrofoam cooler up with frozen milk jugs and putting a fan into a cut out hole in the side.

yes it has been very hot here in North Carolina my chicken will use up to 2 1/2 gal of water in a 5 gal bucket shade is the big thing to help them I put 4 poles in the ground and then 2 x4 frame on top then put 2 sheets of plywood on top of that to make them a setting place and to take dirt baths in the shade, I am going to have to fix up another one so they will have more room

A mister could help but not if the humidity is very bad. What is your coop design like? Open air or mostly closed? Do they have plenty of shade?

You can also make a backwoods AC unit by filling a styrofoam cooler up with frozen milk jugs and putting a fan into a cut out hole in the side.

Good Morning Tesumph, the breed of chickens that I have are Orpingtons and I was told and even read up on this breed that they were very hardy birds. But since you are from NC too you know how hot it can get here. My barn is big enough for the chickens, Yes I have everything open doors and windows plus I have 3 fans going at the same time, I did give them Watermelons yesterday I don't have a mister but I do go into the run and soak the ground. I will try all the stuff that you guys tell me. I just don't lose another bird to the heat

Good Morning Tesumph, the breed of chickens that I have are Orpingtons and I was told and even read up on this breed that they were very hardy birds. But since you are from NC too you know how hot it can get here. My barn is big enough for the chickens, Yes I have everything open doors and windows plus I have 3 fans going at the same time, I did give them Watermelons yesterday I don't have a mister but I do go into the run and soak the ground. I will try all the stuff that you guys tell me. I just don't lose another bird to the heat
I’m actually in Texas, but yes I know how rough the heat can be. I’ve never had Orpingtons but I do plan on getting them. I’m about to start construction of a whole new coop and run and I plan on the whole thing being open air with plenty of shade. I do not plan on giving my birds ice, just fresh water. After having birds struggle in the heat with my last flock, I am of the mindset that either they can deal with it or they can’t. I’m very sorry you lost some, I also lost one to the heat because she wouldn’t stay in the open air. Found her behind a haybale in the stuffy barn. I now stay away from very dark or fluffy birds.
If you can’t find anything that works for you in this set-up, you might consider getting more heat-hardy birds. Generally, more compact/slimmer bodies, longer legs, and bigger combs all do better. Think leghorn and similar. The downside, from what I’ve found, is they can generally be flightier, but there’s always exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom