1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

High-Speed Internet

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Matt A NC, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    For the first time in my life I have a HIGH SPEED CONNECTION. Got a package deal for 2 years from Charter. I have been on dial-up since I got my first computer in 1998. This is a new experience.

Normally it takes 1-2 hours to go through my email. I just did it all in 15 minutes.

Since I can visit more sites that won't take forever to load, I am going to be installing some better protection against viruses, spyware, bots, and everything else. I need a better firewall too.

Matt

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] Congrats on making the leap from dial up to high speed! Wait til you try uploading pics, it won't take hours anymore just a minute or two. [​IMG] Enjoy!

3. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    I know what you mean. We recently dumped our dial-up for a WildBlue Dish. It's great. I don't know if it's as fast as yours, but it's a far cry fromt what we had.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

When I went from dial-up to DSL I felt like I had come out of the stone-age!!

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I just downloaded some new antivirus. On dial-up it would have downloaded at 4-5 Kbps. This new connection was just clocked 1Mbps. That is 1,024 Kbps.
    [​IMG]

Matt

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Woo hoo! Isn't high speed great?

7. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I remember trying to do banking with dial-up. Half the time, I'd have my session closed due to inactivity before it even got the account page opened. [​IMG]
    We pay only $18 extra for hi-speed, and we're very rural. No set-up fee, no contract, no MSN or AOL [​IMG]
    I can't BELIEVE how much those hi-speed places cost, the ones you see commercials for. More than a $100 a month, are you kidding me????

8. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I have DSL and it's Great and lightening fast
    I use a laptop as a hard drive so mine is even faster than a desk top

Unfortunately i have left chats and and thought my emails were being ignored from others who have dialup
    I have had to apologize on several occasions for my DSL being to fast.

Welcome to the world of fast internet you will love it [​IMG]

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Do people still use dial-up? I haven't used it in over ten years.

DSL and wi-fi sure beat the 2400 baud modem I had back in 1991 when it cost something like $12.95 an hour to connect to CompuServe.

10. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    [​IMG] Me! I still have dial up [​IMG] A guy from comcast is coming over this afternoon to talk to us about their deals. We're combining cable, phone and internet. Hope it works [​IMG]

Congrats on high speed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by