High Temp for too long. Will my chicks still hatch?

anim51296

Hatching
Feb 20, 2020
Hi, I have about 7 quail eggs in my incubator but I'm worried they won't hatch. I made the incubator myself so we have to regulate temp ourselves. We do that just fine and we have never went too high or too low but one day I was out for a while and no one else was at home and the incubator was at 40 degrees celsius (104 Fahrenheit) the whole day! It was day 17 where I saw some pips in my eggs and on day 18 is when one hatched. Only problem is, I had to leave my house at 8am and the chick hatched at 9am. During that time, the incubator was at 40 degrees. I was so sad to come home (it was around 4pm) to see a dead chick lying on the incubator floor. I didn't know it was at 40 degrees so when I checked, I immediately turned the temp to 37.5 ish. The chick has been in 40 degrees for 8 hours and so have the eggs. It's only day 19 now but I feel like none of my eggs will hatch. Do you think there is still a possibility? Also, the dead chick was in the incubator for about 7 hours so will that also affect the eggs? I wasn't sure if I should remove it or keep in in because of the sudden temp and humidity changes. I ended up removing it. What are my chances of chicks hatching?

Last edited:
It doesn’t hurt to wait and see, but too high of a temperature is harder to recover from than a cooler temperature. I’m sorry to hear about your chick 😢

@hysop is right :(

Whistle at the eggs and put it right to your ear and listen for scratches or peeps. Try candleing them too even tho its hard to sometimes.

ive built a few incubators with great results if you wanted to try again mabye i can help!

How did you go? Did anymore hatch?
My inky was at 39.8 ish for I don't know how long in a 6 hour span and I'm so worried that won't hatch I already had them in lockdown but, candled 2 that were sitting in the hottest point today and they both still had movement 🙏🤞

104°F for more than 1 hour is enough to kill developing embryos or chicks that are a day or 2 away from hatching. There may be a chance that a few of the eggs 'internal' temperature didn't get that high and may have survived, usually, it's the eggs in the corners of the bator that survive high temperature swings.

104°F for more than 1 hour is enough to kill developing embryos or chicks that are a day or 2 away from hatching. There may be a chance that a few of the eggs 'internal' temperature didn't get that high and may have survived, usually, it's the eggs in the corners of the bator that survive high temperature swings.
If they hatch I'm going to think it mustn't of gotten to 40 then 🤔 here's hoping it didn't

Has it hatched? Are any more hatching?
Yes, so thankful! 3 healthy in the brooder, 1 assisted hatch still in incubator (probably did the wrong thing there but that's another story.) Another 1 hatched in incubator and 8 more have pipped! Nervously watching 2 more who have pipped at the wrong end but will not assist them after the first ones same issue...

Attachments

• 20220906_154412.jpg
    20220906_154412.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 5
Yes, so thankful! 3 healthy in the brooder, 1 assisted hatch still in incubator (probably did the wrong thing there but that's another story.) Another 1 hatched in incubator and 8 more have pipped! Nervously watching 2 more who have pipped at the wrong end but will not assist them after the first ones same issue...
Ok, we're you relying on the incubators sensors or do you have an independent calibrated thermometer(s) and hygrometer?
Putting together the pieces from these post, I would have to say that your temperature as well as the humidity were off...they weren't reading what they were displaying.

Back
Top Bottom