High wind preparedness, leave windows open or close them up?

Yep, board them up or shut them. some of those old wives tales still persists and its a wonder how many people thought wrong to open the windows to find their homes gone.

Yep, fill tanks, pitchers and get a cooler in case power goes out. Ice bags come in handy or dry ice.

Canned goods and good thing you have a stove. You will be fine.

Mine free range, so I am planning to leave everyone out to find the best place to weather the storm. They can go under porches or snuggle up against the best part of the house. Only my baby ducks will come inside the house. I am sure predators will be too busy finding shelter from the storm to go hunting.

Open windows would create more drag, thusly more pressure on a structure. Thats why open windows in cars while driving make it less aerodynamic. I would not open windows, but secure them tightly!

TODAY show said this morning that you need to cover and board up ALL the windows, because it stops the roof from being lifted. IF you leave one window "undone", then you are defeating the purpose. I think tonadic winds are different from hurricane winds . . .although now here in the midwest we seem to have more "straight line winds" than tornadoes. Damage is still the same.

I hope and pray this hurricane blows itself out FAST and there is NO serious damage or injury.

Back
Top Bottom