Higher elevation, arid climate, shipped eggs... any and all advice appreciated!

hafnhaf

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 12, 2016
Idaho
I have a Brinsea advance 20 with an auto turner and a humidity pump.

Eggs were shipped from an arid climate, elevation about 3500 ft

We live at 4500 ft, arid climate, humidity in the house is about 25%. The incubator is in the house.

Eggs are between 5 and 7 days old and they seemed to be packed well, no cracks, reputable breeder. Shipping took 3 plane rides and 5 days.

I carefully weighed the eggs and candled them and I can't really identify the air cells. They were placed in their tray to settle at 7 am this morning. I was planning on putting them in the incubator tonight at about 11 pm.

I have read about leaving the auto turner off for a few days, up to 7 days to repair the air cells. I would like to know if anyone has tried this, and if so what was your success rate?

Temp is set at 99.6° (my digital food thermometer shows between 99.7° and 100.2°) The temperature in our house is about 66° during the day and about 63° at night. We do have a closet that stays about 69°.

Humidity is set at 45%. I have read about dry incubation, but I am assuming that's for humid climates?

If anyone has advice or tips, I would really appreciate your input. I have incubated in the past, but in a different region/elevation and to be honest, my hatch rates have never been great.

I would be curious to hear others success rates with this incubator and similar circumstances.

Last edited:
I have a Brinsea advance 20 with an auto turner and a humidity pump.

Eggs were shipped from an arid climate, elevation about 3500 ft

We live at 4500 ft, arid climate, humidity in the house is about 25%. The incubator is in the house.

Eggs are between 5 and 7 days old and they seemed to be packed well, no cracks, reputable breeder. Shipping took 3 plane rides and 5 days.

They were placed in their tray to settle at 7 am this morning. I was planning on putting them in the incubator tonight at about 11 pm.

I have read about leaving the auto turner off for a few days, up to 7 days to repair the air cells. I would like to know if anyone has tried this, and if so what was your success rate?

Temp is set at 99.6° (my digital food thermometer shows between 99.7° and 100.2°) The temperature in our house is about 66° during the day and about 63° at night. We do have a closet that stays about 69°.

Humidity is set at 45%. I have read about dry incubation, but I am assuming that's for humid climates?

If anyone has advice or tips, I would really appreciate your input. I have incubated in the past, but in a different region/elevation and to be honest, my hatch rates have never been great.

I would be curious to hear others success rates with this incubator and similar circumstances.
Hatching at high altitude

I can't really identify the air cells, all I see are tiny bubbles scattered everywhere.
This is a really bad thing. It is one thing to have detached air cells. It is another thing to have destroyed air cells.

I start the turner as soon as I put the eggs in the incubator. Studies have proven proven that the most important time to turn the eggs is very early during incubation.

This is a really bad thing. It is one thing to have detached air cells. It is another thing to have destroyed air cells.

I start the turner as soon as I put the eggs in the incubator. Studies have proven proven that the most important time to turn the eggs is very early during incubata

I start the turner as soon as I put the eggs in the incubator. Studies have proven proven that the most important time to turn the eggs is very early during incubation.
After viewing tons of candling pics, I edited my post. I think the bubbles I saw are actually porosity in the shell, they didn't move. I really hope the air cells aren't destroyed. I am going to look at a few tonight again before I put them in the incubator.

After viewing tons of candling pics, I edited my post. I think the bubbles I saw are actually porosity in the shell, they didn't move. I really hope the air cells aren't destroyed. I am going to look at a few tonight again before I put them in the incubator.
Shell porosity is quite visible/ Hope you are right about it.

my advice is just put them in and start them, then candle at 10 days to see what you got .. i'd keep humidity in the 50% range alittle either way wont hurt i dont think, but i wouldnt want to dry them out at very low humidity .. you can cover it with a towel to stabilize temps some, but if it vents from the bottom i would 'not' put it on carpet ..

my advice is just put them in and start them, then candle at 10 days to see what you got .. i'd keep humidity in the 50% range alittle either way wont hurt i dont think, but i wouldnt want to dry them out at very low humidity .. you can cover it with a towel to stabilize temps some, but if it vents from the bottom i would 'not' put it on carpet ..
I am at a mile high elevation. I incubate at 30% humidity and lock down at 65% to 70% humidity.

I am at a mile high elevation. I incubate at 30% humidity and lock down at 65% to 70% humidity.
This is about what I see. I can't identify air cells, but that could be me.

Attachments

• 20210226_174748.jpg
    20210226_174748.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 6
You're fine. Those are part of the shell and are not air bubbles. In really fresh eggs, the air cell is small and difficult to see or damage.

Good luck.
That is so good to hear! 😅

You're about a 1000 ft higher, what is the approx humidity in your area? I'm wondering if I need to adjust for that?

That is so good to hear! 😅

You're about a 1000 ft higher, what is the approx humidity in your area? I'm wondering if I need to adjust for that?
At this time of the year, the humidity in the house is about 10%. I have to add water to get the incubator up to 30% humidity .

Those that have a house humidity of 60% can run the incubation phase without adding water to their incubator.

If you haven't already, I recommend that you have a salt calibrated hygrometer to check the humidity level inside the incubator. It is also helpful to have a calibrated (or at least accuracy checked) thermometer. It is very common for incubator humidity and temperatures to be off from what the manufacturer's instrument say they are.

Back
Top Bottom