Higher humidity (80%+) in the coop when it rains, snows, or it's damp out?

Dillychick

Songster
Apr 7, 2018
Dillsburg, PA
So I added an additional vent on one of the shed coop gables. I have an enclosed run which I close at night. I am still leaving the pop door open since it's still above 50 degrees most nights. I close the windows and the main door depending on conditions. l've read optimal range for humidity reading is between 30 to 70%. I'm so worried about this humidity thing. I clean up after the 7 hens and 2 roos daily. They have pine shavings and pdz in the coop. Tonight at around 7 p.m. when I went out to lock 'em up, they were all in their roosts, after 6 hours of steady downpour the humidity was 76%. I'm using a
ASX Design SUKRAGRAHA Mini Digital Temperature Humidity Meter Gauge Thermometer Hygrometer LCD Degree Fahrenheit (F) Display Black
Sold by: AM_store for $7.49 bought from Amazon.

So again, thanks for your patience, indulgence, and advice.
upload_2019-10-4_10-14-45.png

One thing to know is that you will not get the humidity lower than what it is outside.

Check what the humidity is outside the coop too.

I don't need precise readings so I use the cheap ones from Home Depot. They give me a close ballpark reading. Actually more accurate than I expected.

I know it is stressful when we are told keep the moisture low and we are at mother nature's mercy.

One thing to know is that you will not get the humidity lower than what it is outside.

Check what the humidity is outside the coop too.

I don't need precise readings so I use the cheap ones from Home Depot. They give me a close ballpark reading. Actually more accurate than I expected.

I know it is stressful when we are told keep the moisture low and we are at mother nature's mercy.

THANK YOU!!! I will definitely sleep better.

You're welcome.

I try to keep my inside humidity close to what the outside is.
If I am 10% or more above the outside I look for a reason.....
Have I cleaned the poop up?
Did a water dish get spilled?
Do I have a roof leak?
Are the windows needing opened?
Did a vent get blocked?
Do I have enough vents?

Just logical stuff.

You're welcome.

I try to keep my inside humidity close to what the outside is.
If I am 10% or more above the outside I look for a reason.....
Have I cleaned the poop up?
Did a water dish get spilled?
Do I have a roof leak?
Are the windows needing opened?
Did a vent get blocked?
Do I have enough vents?

Just logical stuff.
X2.

And in general.... most coops don't have enough ventilation, especially when windows are closed.

By "enclosed run" do you mean roofed?

A run that is roofed is great since then the coop wall that is sheltered by the run roof, can have huge open windows and still not run a risk of rain blowing into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom