Hind end support cart for dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickbea, May 10, 2011.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    My old dog has finally lost the use of her back legs. I never thought I'd be someone who puts their dog in a cart, but her condition is not painful, and she still has such interest in life and in doing things. I just can't see putting down a dog who still has so much zest for life. Her only problem is boredom and frustration because she can't get around! So, the cart comes this week and she'll go for her final fitting on Monday.
    Does anyone else out there use a support cart? I'm a bit nervous, because I was talking to a lady who uses one for her dachshund and she says I need to be ready for all sorts of unsolicited comments from strangers making judgements about the decision I've made. Apparently she's had people come up to her on the street to tell her what a horrible thing she's doing! I don't know how well I'll deal with that - I'm not too shy to tell people off but it's such an emotional thing for me I'm afraid I'll start crying!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    see I am a loud mouth and would tell them where to go so I am no help... some choice 4 letter words are coming to mind..lol

3. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    I know it would be traumatic for you to start crying, but I got an image in my head of someone coming up to you and you bursting into tears. I pictured them looking very uncomfortable and backing away apologetically. Might be worth a few crocodile tears just to see if it worked [​IMG]

Oh, and GOOD FOR YOU helping your dog improve their quality of life! Why put down your best friend when a set of wheels will bring their quality of life back to near normal! Bravo, I say!

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My German Shepherd Kodi had Degenerative Myelopathy and we got an Eddie's Wheels cart for her. It worked well for a while, then her front legs also grew weaker and she could no longer use it. We lost her 4 years ago at the age of 12. We didn't have any problems with "public opinions" as we live in a very rural area and few people saw her in her cart. I would do it again seeing how she enjoyed being mobile. DM ~ the condition my dog had is not a painful condition for the dog. I wish you luck and hope the cart works well for your dog.

RIP my Kodi-Bear.
    [​IMG]

5. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Degenerative myelopathy - we've pretty much narrowed it down to that being the issue. Kodi's mom: how long was it before the condition progressed to the front legs? Right now Paige is still very strong on her front legs, but we've started doing some massage and PT to her front end also since that is now doing all the work.
    I see your boy in his cart - what a handsome guy he was!

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks..... i've made chairs for geese, chickens and swans.... should have seen the looks I got. [​IMG] Best Wishes for your dog

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Kodi was diagnosed with DM at age 9 and we got the cart when she was around 11. I think we waited too long to get it and if I had it to do over I would have gotten it much earlier. She only had about 6 months in the cart before her front legs got too weak to support her for extended periods of time. She lived much longer than many dogs with DM, which I credit to giving her large doses of Vitamin E, Fish Oil, Glucosamine/Chondroitin and Vitamin C daily. We also used the cart and slings to move her when many people would have put her down before that point. We are both retired and could give her round the clock care and attention.

She was my baby and a great dog. Although she had very good bloodlines she was the product of a Backyard Breeder, who didn't research the dogs genetics before breeding. We did much more research before getting the two German Shepherds we now have. DM is a cruel disease and we hope we never have to deal with it again. Although the one good thing with DM is that it is reported to not be painful for the dog, causing numbness as the nerves degenerate.

8. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    My response would be "I suppose you think we should humanely euthanize paraplegics as well?" and then calmly walk away. But I'm a witch like that. [​IMG]

Kudos to you for getting a cart for your friend. [​IMG] I hope you have many more happy years together.

9. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I have a question. How does the dog go to the bathroom? I just had to ask since every time i see one i wonder.

10. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:They say that isn't a problem. I'm still waiting for the cart to get here, so right now we are supporting her with a belly strap I made out of an old ski carrier. She's going potty just fine; she still has some control from the hip and she can still get into the right posture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by