Hinny ducks

razvanM

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 14, 2012
Hi evreyone ! I am an experienced poultry owner,and I raise geese for meat and chickens for eggs,but I want to start raising ducks.And I have a question.Like evreyone I heard soo many times about mule duck,that appear by crossing a muscovy drake with a mallard descendent hen.I know those are infertile.But I always wondered what would be a female muscovy x aylesbury drake(or other breeds,but I said aylesbury cuz I am getting aylesburys and muscovys).So my question is will the muscovy hen x aylesbury drake crossbreed ducklings be good for meat production and will they be fertile,cuz I dont want to raise unfertile ducks.Duck owners from evreywhere please help me !

No they won't be fertile that is crossing a domestic to a Muscovy and thus creating a mule or sterile offspring. If you want fertile offspring don't cross anything with a Muscovy. The typical Scovy are a good bird, but for the best meat Scovy invest in the French Whites, they are larger than other strains and present more meat.

Last edited:
That cross would probably be a good meat bird but they would be infertile.

Here is some info from Metzer Farms website regarding mule ducks

Muscovy and domestic ducks (such as the Pekin - which were developed from Mallards) are very different as they have been genetically isolated for over 50 million years. They can be crossed but you get some very interesting results. If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female you will hatch moulards (or mule ducks); if you cross a Pekin male with a Muscovy female the progeny are called hinnies. In Europe and in Asia many mule ducks are produced because of their large size, quality liver and reduced fat content in the carcass. Artificial insemination has been developed in ducks due to the desire to produce mule ducks. If left to mate naturally, the fertility is only 20-30%. Artificial insemination brings the fertility up to 80%. Whereas a Pekin takes 28 days to hatch and a Muscovy takes 35 days, a mule or hinny takes 32 days to hatch.

Approximately 60% of mule ducks are males. Some of their characteristics are like the Muscovy as they are large, quiet, slow moving and have long claws but are also like Pekin as they swim well, the males and females are much the same size and they do not fly. Hinnies are not grown commercially. Male hinnies are much larger than female hinnies, like the muscovy, yet the females look like Pekins but fly quite well. Mules and hinnies cannot reproduce. Both males are sterile and only the hinny females lay eggs (though they cannot hatch). If you have Muscovy and Pekin together, the chances are poor that they will cross but if they do, a hinny will probably be the result as Pekin males can catch Muscovy females more easily than Muscovy males can catch Pekin females. We do not produce mules or hinnies but thought you might enjoy this material on this interesting aspect of duck production and genetics.

Thank you guys,you really helped me a lot ! and,I really love white french muscovies,cuz they dont have that red stuff around they head.And I would really like some,but I dont think I will find in my region,most probably I will get a local muscovy breed wich is a very large,colorfull muscovy.Altough I may find some at a local pet shop where they sell meat birds like broad brested turkeys,white toulouse geese,jumbo pekins and broiler chickens do you think I can find some there ?

Thank you guys,you really helped me a lot ! and,I really love white french muscovies,cuz they dont have that red stuff around they head.And I would really like some,but I dont think I will find in my region,most probably I will get a local muscovy breed wich is a very large,colorfull muscovy.Altough I may find some at a local pet shop where they sell meat birds like broad brested turkeys,white toulouse geese,jumbo pekins and broiler chickens do you think I can find some there ?
Where are you that you can buy geese at a pet shop or turkeys? never seen any at any pet shops i have been too.

I live in Romania.And it is not quite a pet shop it is much like a veterinarian pharmacy,but it also is a pet shop,but they mainly sell animal food,medicine and baby birds(from layer chickens to white toulouse geese and turkeys).

I live in Romania.And it is not quite a pet shop it is much like a veterinarian pharmacy,but it also is a pet shop,but they mainly sell animal food,medicine and baby birds(from layer chickens to white toulouse geese and turkeys).
Thats so cool, I guess in Romania most don't keep ducks/geese/ chickens etc for pets? mostly to raise for food?

welcome-byc.gif

And it is so neat to hear from someone in Romania. Wow. I grow a garlic variety called Romanian red. Romania sounds like such a fascinating place.

Welcome to the Duck Forum!

big_smile.png

Your English is really good! I have no idea how to speak or write Romanian.

welcome-byc.gif

And it is so neat to hear from someone in Romania. Wow. I grow a garlic variety called Romanian red. Romania sounds like such a fascinating place.

Welcome to the Duck Forum!

big_smile.png

Your English is really good! I have no idea how to speak or write Romanian.
I barely speak English myself, southern English that is.
wink.png
You speak very good English
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom