Hip or Leg Problem?

hawkeyext

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2016
New York
We have a barred rock that we noticed sitting a lot. Upon further inspection she is having trouble walking. We notice a toe will step on another toe when walking sometimes and it looks like she is hesitant to walk. I think it might be a hip issue as her feet and legs look fine.

Has anyone encountered this before or have any recommendations. We live in an area where there is only 1 vet who sees chickens and they are rather pricey and require a lot of notice anyway.

Thank you.

I will be following your post. I have two barred rock hens with some kind of issue with balance going on.And we have no avian vet in the area.

We have a barred rock that we noticed sitting a lot. Upon further inspection she is having trouble walking. We notice a toe will step on another toe when walking sometimes and it looks like she is hesitant to walk. I think it might be a hip issue as her feet and legs look fine.

Has anyone encountered this before or have any recommendations. We live in an area where there is only 1 vet who sees chickens and they are rather pricey and require a lot of notice anyway.

Thank you.

How old is she? Is she laying eggs? Have you checked the bottoms of her feet for any scabs?

She's about 6 months old. We have about 100 turning "of age" to lay and 1/4 of them are laying, so it's hard to tell if this particular one is laying. Her feet and legs looked fine.

I would keep an eye on her to see if anything gets worse. There are some leg bone problems that can cause hock tendons to rupture, and sometimes the legs can twist or become bowed or knock kneed. There are also some neurological diseases such as Mareks that may cause lameness or paralysis in one or both legs. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

I have week old chicks and this am I had one who was hesitant to walk on one of her legs and now I have a second doing the same. The claw is curled up , doesn't seem to be any broken bones in leg or foot and the same with the second? The other chicks are running all around. Is it possible when they are running around to get stepped on and just have a sore foot/leg for a bit? First time chick owner so I will be heading to local Southern Co-op in the am where there is a chicken farmer but would like to see if I can find out tonight so me and my female pug who love her new babies don't spend the night working?

Back
Top Bottom