His cardboard sign simply said "Just Hungry"

my son works at a gas station and got to talking with the man who held the sign when he came in for a drink.. the man told him it was a great way to make money.. he usually averaged 280-400 a day..... i was shocked!!!!! then one time i stopped back by to give a man and woman food i had just bought at a fast food restaurant.. i bought hot cocoa figuring it was cold out and egg sandwiches.. he told me wheres the coffee? that he didn't want cocoa.. so i don't help anymore.. you never know who really needs help and who is scamming you.

Several years ago there was a guy who stood at an intersection near my place of work with a sign. My boss offered him a job (cash doing very light yard work, etc). The guy turned down the offer and actually told my boss he was doing it to get enough money to buy a sports car ( dealership was across the street)

We watched this guy every afternoon/evening for over 2 years and yep he got his sports car!! No lie. There were so many of those "hungry sign" scams that it made the nightly news. People doing it admitted to making thousands of $ a year.

Tonight an older man came into my work (Subway) and wanted to know if he could do anything in exchange for food. He started playing his harmonica and said that he was in a tough situation but he came from a good family. He said that he was traveling up to Ithaca NY by foot/hitchhiking. He was only 5 miles past the MD line into PA.
hmm.png

So my coworker and I pitched in to buy him a sub and we chose the six inch philly so it would fill him up. He asked if there were any shelters nearby and I gave him the number for a shelter 10 miles down the road. It was pouring rain and I hope he made it there safely.
sad.png

Quote:
I'll take that bet and raise you 10. Here's the story from which your scripture was taken. Sure sounds like He say's you could get beaten and killed doing his work, but be not afraid:

Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil [a] spirits and to heal every disease and sickness....

5 These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6 Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7 As you go, proclaim this message: 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.' 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. ...

16 "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17 Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

21 "Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22 Everyone will hate you because of me, but those who stand firm to the end will be saved. 23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

26 "So do not be afraid of them. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care. [c] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

32 "Whoever publicly acknowledges me I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever publicly disowns me I will disown before my Father in heaven.

34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—

36 your enemies will be the members of your own household.' [d]

37 "Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves a son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

40 "Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes someone known to be a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and whoever welcomes someone known to be righteous will receive a righteous person's reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is known to be my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly be rewarded."

Last edited:
Quote:
hahahah you must live near Spring Valley east county San diego...LOL

In downtown we leave our ice in drinks and food on top of the electric boxes they paint all purdy. It is an underground thing they do so homeless people know the stuff is good. I left a bag of cookies nobody ate. The man walked up , looked in the shop(it was in front of a box) and smiled at me, took out a cookie and walked away.

You do have to be careful cause 80% of the homeless people beggin on the streets are doing it for drugs or booze.homeless people DO NOT starve. Everyday the salvation army at 12pm hands out free lunches and there are food shelters every where! Next time take your 10 bucks and donate it the the salvation army, that way it can feed more people. they play on those nice people who cry and feel bad for them. Not trying to be mean cause you sound like such a sweetie! FYI......a man gave this homeless man a $% bill. He smiled an walked away. Later that night the police found the homeless mans bosy behind a dumpster. He died from a $5 bag of bad heiron. True story~

I take all my clothes to the salvation army's women & childrens shelter. they never have to pay for what i drop off! It stays in the shelter~

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll take that bet and raise you 10. Here's the story from which your scripture was taken. Sure sounds like He say's you could get beaten and killed doing his work, but be not afraid:

Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil [a] spirits and to heal every disease and sickness....

5 These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6 Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7 As you go, proclaim this message: 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.' 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. ...

16 "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17 Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

21 "Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22 Everyone will hate you because of me, but those who stand firm to the end will be saved. 23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

26 "So do not be afraid of them. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care. [c] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

32 "Whoever publicly acknowledges me I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever publicly disowns me I will disown before my Father in heaven.

34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

37 "Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves a son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

40 "Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes someone known to be a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and whoever welcomes someone known to be righteous will receive a righteous person's reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is known to be my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly be rewarded."

all of that is great..but i bet jesus would totally not give money to a crack head or a bum that refused to work.

Quote:

all of that is great..but i bet jesus would totally not give money to a crack head or a bum that refused to work.

Jesus loved all uncondionally........even crack heads who refuse work! SELFLESS acts of love. And he did throw caution to the wind, he hugged the lepards, went into the worst slums and more.
Just to note.............i am not christian and i also understand we are not him. I would use caution

Last edited:
also, here is this..i think this is applicable.

2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

Quote:

Jesus loved all uncondionally........even crack heads who refuse work! SELFLESS acts of love. and just to note.............i am not christian

love is different than enabling.

Quote:

You like to gamble - I can tell. Well, you would lose that bet too but I don't want to quote scripture all night long....but.....how about the one about not judging others?

Here it is for those who may not know:

.( Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mat 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Mat 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. )

See, in this story He's telling people they better be very right with God and perfect in every way before they judge someone else - because that's His job.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom