Hit By Car! Help!

luvmydux

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
I have a large duck with a broken wing. She was hit by a car. Everything else looks good but the bone is stinking out. Does anyone know if I can amputate the wing? What should I do? She is a magpie and I only have one pair!

So sorry. My hen had a broken wing from a dog attack. She went through surgery and had pins. I wish the vet would have just amputated her wing. I hear they do well with the wing being amputated. Wish I could help you more! Good luck.

I have a chicken with one wing she would never know it's gone. Her name is "Uno". The people who I bought her from told me that she was attacked by a dog and that's how she lost it. I don't know what he did to remove it, it looks like maybe the dog ripped it off. But she till tries to stretch out her wing span like she has two wings, and she lives a great life.

I am thinking we will do an amputation tomorrow. I work for a vet, just not a farm vet! He's a good guy though, texted him and he said bring her in, we'll figure something out. I know she can live without it, just don't know the best way to do it. Ducks don't handle anesthesia very well from what I hear, but we shall see. Seems to have a broken leg too:hit

Last edited:
maybe he will amputate at the smallest possible point.... then give topical stuff for infection control and maybe pain killers of some kind? Good luck, post again about your duck please. We care about you both!

Ok, so we anesthetized her today and figured out she had a wing that was broken in many places so it could not be saved economically. We amputated at the first break with zip ties (I know sounds brutal but wanted her to wake up as soon as possible) and a pair of nice surgical scissors. It cut very cleanly and with no blood:). Then I realized how bad her foot was broken on the same side. We also zip tied where the first break was and expect that the foot with exposed bone will eventually sluff off. She is probably going to have some balance issues as both the wing and foot were on the same side. It would have made her balancing much easier if they were on opposite sides. However, she woke up nicely and was given great pain relief and started on preventative antibiotics (only for a short time as antibiotics can mess up a ducks "flora"). Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this little girl will pull through this. She is eating and drinking and not shy about biting the hand that feeds her! That's ok though, I like em fiesty!

Yaay!
smile.png
Glad to hear she's well.

Back
Top Bottom