Hives on chick

Has this chick been anywhere there is rotting food or encountered any decomposing vegetation?

What form is the amoxy and what is the strength? Let's get this chick started on it immediately.

Has this chick been anywhere there is rotting food or encountered any decomposing vegetation?

What form is the amoxy and what is the strength? Let's get this chick started on it immediately.
500 mg dissovlavble tablets.

No, I have been very careful with food waste as its been very wet here, but again its been very wet so that can be a contributing factor. All the chicks have been outside for about 2 weeks. I haven't allowed them to free range at all yet, and I cleaned this coop with bleach before putting the chicks inside it

We have nothing to lose by treating this chick with amoxy. I can't say with certainly the dosage, but again if we are off, it won't kill the chick. The best way to treat the chick is to dissolve the amoxy in water. I would cut the tablet into quarters, and if you have a pill cutter, try getting it into eighths.

Or you can dissolve the whole tablet in a fourth cup of water and use it as a stock solution, giving the chick .5ml by prying open the beak and inserting the syringe into the right side (chick's right side) of the mouth, going along the right side of the throat directly into the esophagus. Can you do that? It should be given twice a day.

Anyone else have any idea as to the best way to dose the chick or does this sound okay? I'd rather give it too much than not enough.

We have nothing to lose by treating this chick with amoxy. I can't say with certainly the dosage, but again if we are off, it won't kill the chick. The best way to treat the chick is to dissolve the amoxy in water. I would cut the tablet into quarters, and if you have a pill cutter, try getting it into eighths.

Or you can dissolve the whole tablet in a fourth cup of water and use it as a stock solution, giving the chick .5ml by prying open the beak and inserting the syringe into the right side (chick's right side) of the mouth, going along the right side of the throat directly into the esophagus. Can you do that? It should be given twice a day.

Anyone else have any idea as to the best way to dose the chick or does this sound okay? I'd rather give it too much than not enough.
The chick is starting to show signs that it is going to pass I don't think it will make it much longer thank you everybody for the help this was just really crazy

Try the amoxy. I've changed my mind about the dose. It should be 20mg three times a day. Give it a try. there's nothing to lose.

Cut the pill up and stuff about 60mg into the chick's beak and close the beak so it can swallow. I've seen an antibiotic work very fast. If it improves, go to the above dosage.

Try the amoxy. I've changed my mind about the dose. It should be 20mg three times a day. Give it a try. there's nothing to lose.

Cut the pill up and stuff about 60mg into the chick's beak and close the beak so it can swallow. I've seen an antibiotic work very fast. If it improves, go to the above dosage.
She just passed away 😢

I did give her some amoxy about 30 mins prior but she was too far gone apparently

I have never seen anything like that, I'm so very sorry!:hugs

I'm glad your other chicks don't seem to be affected.
If you do want to *hopefully* find out what caused the lesions, then sending the body to your state lab may give you answers. You can look up your lab here:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom