Hives on chick

It's not hives, she would be itching and scratching herself. Besides, I've never heard of chickens having hives.
In post #8, they possibly could be follicle cysts.
Yeah I can't find anything about chickens having hives so I was kinds stumped. The follicle cysts do resemble what this chick is going through so I'm going to research that a little bit.

Edit: it does seem this matches up. I have 0 vets in my area that will take chickens though. Am I best off culling the poor thing? She did eat as her crop is full but she's very weak

Last edited:
Feather cysts are not fluid filled. They don't cause legs to swell.

What kind of ants do you have? Have you seen ants on this chick? Do you have mosquitoes?

It's important to pry open the chick's beak and examine the throat and tongue to see if these lesions are inside the chick, too.

This chick may be going into shock. Give it some sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. One teaspoon sugar to one cup water.

How is this chick behaving? Is it able to stand? How is its balance? Does it open its eyes or keep them closed?

Feather cysts are not fluid filled. They don't cause legs to swell.

What kind of ants do you have? Have you seen ants on this chick? Do you have mosquitoes?

It's important to pry open the chick's beak and examine the throat and tongue to see if these lesions are inside the chick, too.

This chick may be going into shock. Give it some sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. One teaspoon sugar to one cup water.

How is this chick behaving? Is it able to stand? How is its balance? Does it open its eyes or keep them closed
A few of the cysts have broke open on their own and its very pimple like.

just black ants. I still dont see any inside the coop. Not many mosquitos at all but it is possible. I'm near show low, AZ in the mountains.

I don't see any lesions inside the mouth.

I've been doing sugar water periodically all day.
She is pretty lethargic honestly. She wants to just lay under the heat lamp. I checked this chick 3 days ago because she seemed slightly off and she did not have these bumps on her then. balance is weak and eyes closed for the most part. She will throw a fit every now and then when I'm trying to examine her and chirp loudly. she's definitely skinny

It's crucial to know your location. There may be clues associated with it.

I need to cruise Google. This is right up there with the most distressing things I've ever seen afflicting a chicken.

Yes agreed😭 I'm leaning towards culling tomorrow if her condition hasn't improved or worsened. I have no clue what I'm dealing with. I am spraying her down with banixx about every 5 hours along with the sugar water. i'm not even sure if she will make the night.

Fowl pox is the only thing that came up in my searches. I doubt it's pox because pox doesn't involve the entire body all at once like this. This reminds me of bubonic plague.

I hate to mention this but this chick is likely to die before you get around to euthanizing it.

Fowl pox is the only thing that came up in my searches. I doubt it's pox because pox doesn't involve the entire body all at once like this. This reminds me of bubonic plague.

I hate to mention this but this chick is likely to die before you get around to euthanizing it.
I think the most humane thing to do would just be to euthanize her now then wouldn't it? I really don't see this getting better if no one knows the cure

Back
Top Bottom