Hmmm,,,Rooster seems to be a bit bossy

TheCoolieCoop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
I have a full grown rooster and hen, and 3, 6 week ol chicks which are separate from the others. Question here is my rooster seems to be real real bossy and (how do I say this) mating? my hen to death lately...she doesn't even want to come out of the coop and eats and drinks in there. Its like she is scared and always looking out for him..(I don't blame her) This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. I've had them for 6 months and he was nothing like this. So I let him out in the morning so he can do his thing and I let her stay inside but he does have access to get in. I drew the straw when he mounted her so hard her beak went into the dirt. I am very new to this chicken thing so any advise I would love! thanks!
barnie.gif

So do you keep him separate from her until daytime? This can be a problem. Most people who do this have roosters who are overexcited in the mornings. It's natural for a rooster to live with his mate, not separately. If he's just an inconsiderate mate, he may be best gotten rid of unless you are willing to risk your hen getting killed.

It may be best to get some more hens to distract him but it's no guarantee, if he's rough to one he may continue to single her out for abuse even with other hens to mate with, in which case he should be gotten rid of. Still, you can try it.

Best wishes.

Oh no...all during the day he has access to inside and she to go outside..they are free all day..its just that she doesn't want to come outside is all. they are not separated..they use to roam all over together on the property. Now she doesn't even do that with him.

Ah, ok... Well, unfortunately then he's just not a very good rooster.

He's got little concern for the female so he's better off in a situation where acting like a decent rooster isn't expected of him. A truly good rooster won't mate with a hen who isn't interested, it's actually a natural instinct which he's obviously lacking. Some males are only good for mating and eating, and plenty are only good for eating. Personally I think if he's detrimental to the hen's wellbeing he's not even good for mating as it tends to breed true. Good roosters are common, but so are bad ones. You only have to put up with what you choose to keep, as do your hens. My personal stance on it is that no one animal's quality of life is more important than anothers'.

If he's making your hen's life a misery, you can either get rid of him, or get him more hens and separate him from the other one (as having more hens doesn't usually stop an obsessed rooster from assaulting the one he prefers)... Or you can get rid of the hen. If you do none of these things or change the circumstance one way or another, you may well find her dead one day, or dying. It's fairly likely he's already done her some minor injuries, possibly a major one which would explain her avoiding him and hiding in the cage.

Best wishes, I know it's a difficult situation.

I do have 3 more hens but they are almost 2 months old...not even close yet to be with him. In about a week or 2 they will be outside in their separate living quarters but visible to the hen and roo I have. They will learn from them 2. So hopefully this will be a lil distraction for him. Today I was glad to see her out and about with him. thank you for responding for it did make me a lil nervous, but I do still keep an eye out, observing ...maybe she just wanted a time out..lol

Yeah, it's easier for a hen to be hurt during mating than most people know, especially if you have a rooster who ignores her protests. This is why I place importance on a rooster having good instincts about how to be a mate and father, saves me much trouble and injuries to tend every year.

If he tries mating the pullets at that age I'd get rid of him, but hopefully he will have the sense to leave them be and they will just distract him. Chances aren't the greatest because he's ignored the adult hen so ignoring babies is in the same vein but if the adult hen is back to hanging out with him, it may just be a learning curve for them all, maybe he will come good.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom