Hmmmm... where are my eggs?!

Sequin

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Ok, so we have been getting 1-3 eggs daily for the last several weeks at least. Yesterday we had one, today so far we have had NONE. Oh, ok, I confess, we had a smooshed softshell egg(someone is not eating their oyster shell!!). But NOTHING in the nesting spot. Kinda odd for my chickens. But, ok. I can live with it. The only thing I am worrying about is that yesterday one hen was in the nesting box. When she finally came out, there was no egg(which, usually there will be an egg after they come out of the nesting box). So, I figured I would let her work her own magic and didn't bother with anything until today. This morning, there was a hen in the nesting box(all my girls look the same, so I don't know if it was the same hen or not) and I let her be. Quite some time after she came out I checked for eggs, and still nothing. IF this is the same hen, going in and out of the nesting box and not producing anything - should I be concerned or worried more than I am? We have 3 hens a laying, so we ought to have at least 1 egg a day - even though the daylight is getting a little shorter. At least, that has been their pattern thus far for quite some time now. I am not so concerned with not getting any eggs for a day or two, but I AM concerned that the hens are going into and laying in the nesting box but not producing anything. That sounds odd to me. Am I right to be watchful/concerned about this?

With the dimished daylight hours, they will slow doen considerably. Also, could they be moulting? I have( I think) 53 hens, and am getting less than a dozen a day now, because of moult, and darkness. Makes it hard to buy feed...for a bunch of freeloaders. Good thing I love each and every one of them! Im sure yours are just takeing a winter break...and slowing down a bit.

Well, I had to go check One more time before the evening falls upon us. And sweet things left me a pretty light brown egg in the nest box.

Thank you so much for the advice and thoughts!! They are about 7 months old, and(not that I am an expert by any means) I am not expecting them to molt for another 5 months - when they will be closer to a full year old.

I was more worried/concerned that they kept laying down in the nest box for long periods but not producing anything. I wanted to make sure they weren't having problems that that might be a sign of.

Many thanks again!!!
smile.png

Well, I have had the same problem, I have 10 hens and 1 roo. I was getting 9 eggs a day (as of a week ago) and then it went to 5 and now,,, 1 a day. Is it the daylight? I have heard of people putting lights in with there chickens on timers I guess to try and trick them into thinking nothing has changed, but I am not sure how it works. Any suggestions?
hmm.png

Thanks;)

Back
Top Bottom