Hobbies for anxiety?

I’m sorry you’re going through this, I’m dealing with a similar situation, I’ve been dealing with so many health issues with m flock, my feather babies, that I’m getting severe anxiety that’s turned into panic attacks.

I can’t say there’s any cure, it would take a time machine to solve the source of the issues, the losses and sicknesses.

All I can say is that after the grief period repetitive somewhat strenuous tasks and repetitive games sometimes help, or at least they temporarily give my mind something else to focus on for a little while.😔
:hugs

Cross-stitch is pretty easy, which is what makes it good for anxiety. You have to count the stitches as you go. Between that and keeping the floss at the right tension, there isn't much time to think of anything else, yet the tasks are not difficult. I started it when my serious boyfriend broke up with me (I was about 22), and it really helped me through that tough time.

Reading a good book may also help, perhaps picking up one you favorited as a youngster. Photography- there are some nice starter cameras out there. Painting/crafting- even if you don’t think you are good at it, find your voice and build it. Channel it into helpfulness, whether volunteering or simply greeting newcomers at BYC
Yes! 😊

For me looking after my Animals and gardening takes the focus away from Anxiety and other issues. My marine fish tanks are taking up most of my time atm with the feeding, water testing, dosing, water changes buying and adding new coral. And just watching the fish. View attachment 2677484
Also gaming when I feel like it and music.
Oh and baking!
View attachment 2677485
Ooo fish! 🤩 That's one pet I've never had. Looks relaxing.

Same I like gaming too.

Yummy! 😋 (There was a moment there when I thought you put pepperoni and sprinkles on your brownies. I was like... interesting combo there... Then I realized they are fruit slices. 🤣)

My anxiety got bad enough recently that I had to go back on meds for it. Made a world of difference for me. Of course I still have anxiety flare-ups but they aren't all-consuming and going on for days or weeks at a time any more. If yours is to the point of interfering with your daily life and thoughts, please don't forget there are medical options for it, and therapy options! Sometimes you just need to get your anxiety brain to shut up long enough to learn better coping strategies, sometimes you need it long-term, both are fine!

Anyway when I have my flare-ups, I do 'little busy things'. I've got ADHD and OCD on top of the anxiety, and that gives me the prime mindset to sit and do tedious, repetitive work that I can lose myself in and relax when I'm having a tough time. Seconding the jewelry stuff! I do beading, especially fond of seed beading. Currently I'm working on a giant latch hook project, can only work on that in spurts because the rug's so big I have to put it on the floor and I can only sit stooped over it for so long before my butt hurts :p. I also tend to write a lot when my anxiety goes nuts.

Another thing I love doing is making stone cabochons, but I don't expect anyone to go out and just buy a $5000+ piece of machinery on a whim! I love working with rocks, I find it very soothing to take a piece of random rock and turn it into something beautiful.
Sorry it got bad again. :hugs

Is a latch hook project similar to crocheting?

I've never heard of stone cabochons - what is that?

I’m sorry you’re going through this, I’m dealing with a similar situation, I’ve been dealing with so many health issues with m flock, my feather babies, that I’m getting severe anxiety that’s turned into panic attacks.

I can’t say there’s any cure, it would take a time machine to solve the source of the issues, the losses and sicknesses.

All I can say is that after the grief period repetitive somewhat strenuous tasks and repetitive games sometimes help, or at least they temporarily give my mind something else to focus on for a little while.😔
Oh no I'm sorry. :hugs

When I'm having issues with anxiety, I find that I like to go on a walk to clear my head, especially a walk in the woods. I'm able to notice my surroundings and think about them, which allows me to calm down.
I'm also a fan of crocheting- it uses repetitive motions, which is very soothing, and you end up with a great final product and feel good about creating something.
I love walks in the woods too. And taking photos of my surroundings, and focusing on what might make a good shot. 🙂

I hope to get good at crocheting someday. I'm trying to learn how to transition from chaining to a crochet stitch. 😅

I love walks in the woods too. And taking photos of my surroundings, and focusing on what might make a good shot. 🙂

I hope to get good at crocheting someday. I'm trying to learn how to transition from chaining to a crochet stitch. 😅
Youtube videos are your friend!! @threestitches on twitch is also always so wonderful and happy to help. At the moment I believe that she streams every night on tuesday-friday. She's wonderful and will answer all of your questions and would totally do stitches up close to the camera for you. If you go by her stream, tell her that cats sent you.

Back
Top Bottom