Hobbit Hole Coops

HuginnsMuse

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 20, 2015
Lil ol' Rhode Island
Ok, so I fell in love with Hobbit Hole coops, I mean who can't they are so bloody cute!
Anyhow, what do you all think of them. This is my first time doing chickens as we are working on homesteading. Logically to us this seemed a decent Idea. Build the 'chicken run' up around them so they have more roaming area. It looks better from afar, and we thought that building up around it could act as natural insulation against the cold/wind. Thankfully my father who's a hobby woodworker offered to help build it.
So, I need to ask. Is it logical? Would building up around it trap in to much moisture even with vents? Or is it a pretty sound idea.
It wouldn't be built till mid summer/fall so we'd have temp coops till then but this is the idea we are looking at.
Enough room to walk in, clean, vent, and roam room on and around.
This is strickly for our egglayers/pets.

Very cute.
I wonder where the ventilation comes from. IMHO, ventilation is the only problem but perhaps one could do some forced air.

Last edited:
One thought was overlapping the roof. That way it hides the vents from view and prevents rain from going into the coop but lets in fresh air. I'm just fearfull of the 'omg growing grass/moss/flowers/whatnot' on and around it may be -to- much moisture. The coop isn't going to have power, only a couple solar lighting panels on timers for winter.

Welcome! The coop is adorable, but NEEDS VENTILATION in a big way. I would put a big hardware covered window in the door, enlarge the window in the front, and add vents and/or windows on one side and the back. Cute is nice, but survival is more important. I love it! Mary

One thought was overlapping the roof. That way it hides the vents from view and prevents rain from going into the coop but lets in fresh air. I'm just fearfull of the 'omg growing grass/moss/flowers/whatnot' on and around it may be -to- much moisture. The coop isn't going to have power, only a couple solar lighting panels on timers for winter.

Don't worry, there won't be any grass/moss. The chickens will kill it all. Which kind of defeats the purpose of building it that way. Even after all the plants are dead, it will probably have increased moisture issues though, unless it is thoroughly encapsulated with a moisture barrier which will make ventilation an even bigger issue. Above ground builds have ventilation problems, putting it underground will make that issue orders of magnitude more complicated to deal with.

If you want a whimsical build, a treehouse would be a better direction to go.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile helps folks give more viable answers/suggestions.

Sorry about that Aart. I'm from Rhode Island, so we have kinda mixed weather, but we live in the part of RI that is like her Bermuda triangle for cold. -2 elsewhere. Nope -16 here. 1 inch of snow elsewhere, nope 8 here... Plus side, we don't have a flooding issue.

So far what I'm getting is to build it above ground rather than sink it in, and add -alot- of ventillation. Vents hidden by a overlapping roof line like the link bellow to prevent water from going in http://egglayingchickens.com/blog/w...icken-coop-pictures-rear-vent-open-screen.jpg

As well as replacing that front window with a larger swinging latch window. This will allow us to keep it open and vented during decent weather, but bad weather close the hole to keep extra water/snow out. Also adding two larger size vents on the other side to help aid in a cross breeze and full ventilation.

Still going to build up the little brick wall and flower/herb bed mostly for looks and so they can eat it or whatever bugs come wandering around, including the man made hills to the side that make it go up and over. But keeping it above ground will help prevent water from slipping in as well if it collects there, so thank of making me remember that and thinking of venting tips.

And seriously? About 15/16 egg layers will pick all the grass in a clean 40x60' space :hmm

it would be like building a primitive earth bermed shelter, I have been reading on building one, I want to build one for my dogs.

I saw a roof with goats grazing on it once, and it looked fine, overgrown even

Back
Top Bottom