hobblin' chicken

jerrydude

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
hi friends,

quick question-- today i noticed one of my chickens (buff orpington) hobbling like it has a broken toe or something. weird eh?

is there anything i can do to help her along? She's full grown...must have hurt herself somehow?

any feedback would be great.

thanks!

Have that going on with my glw eleanor. She came up lame a couple of weeks ago but I couldnt pinpoint what was the issue. She is doing fine and has pretty much stopped hobbling around. I figure she probably did something getting up or down from the roost and it just takes time to heal. It certainly didnt hold her back from freeranging with the flock at all! As long as your girl can get around and does everything pretty much normal, I wouldnt worry.

1st of all you need to look for a wound on the foot you don't want anything like that getting infected and i don't know what bumble foot looks like or the symptoms but check that out too, I acquired a BO hen with a bad leg in the summer she hops on 1 foot but it isn't easy for her and she can't roost, luckily my pullets look after her and make sure if she gets stuck somewhere they call out for me, at least 1 did this summer when she was stuck between the branches in the hedge, she was quiet as a mouse and the brahma was screeching her head off till I found the hen.

I had one that injured a leg/foot when they first got put out in the coop. I think it was getting down from the roost bar. Just not experienced enough to do it well. I put her in a cat carrier at night with shavings, a low (Well, in a cat carrier it can't be high!) dowel for a roost and water. Let her out in the morning with the rest. After about a week, the leg was healed and she was perfectly fine. I just didn't want her climbing up and then jumping down from the roost and possibly making it worse. But it healed all by itself just fine. I would look for a cut or scrape, tho. That could get infected if not kept clean.

My roo has been doing the same thing. I checked for bumblefoot, confined him in an 8x8 ft. pen and have been trying to keep him from using it, but he's still limping. I've felt his foot and the entire leg but can't find anything wrong. So, if anyone has any other suggestions I would like to here them also.

Back
Top Bottom