Hobby Farm Chicken Wrangling. . . or something like that.

Hello. Just a newer hobby farm chicken wrangler here.

We got 9 Autralorps Pullets from our local co-op farm store this past spring (2019) and raised them last year. Built them a overbuilt coop. They have been great. Really easy care and maintenance, with a deep litter method, and all 9 have been great birds laying like gangbusters (averaging 6 or 7 eggs a day). No issues at all.

So... this year we are expanding the operation and I have already picked up 12 more Australorps Pullets, 9 New Hampshire Reds, and 7 Free Mystery Cockerels (pic below). I am not sure what I am thinking really.... lol. The garage is where we keep the Brooders (I have converted an old 100 Gallon Aquarium for 1 and a 2x2x4 Galvanized Stock tank for the other with the 16 chicks in it). This set-up worked really well last year, but that was only for 9 chicks. when they started to get too big last year we split then up between the 2 brooders; it was really cold here late spring (Oregon High Desert) and I was worried about throwing them into the coop to early. BUT we did get the chick here in early/mid Feb. so that was p[art of the issue. This time we bought starting the End of March/beginning of April.

View attachment 2076239

Back
Top Bottom