1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hobo Chicken with Trimmed Beak

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Minvervah, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Minvervah

Minvervah New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    Hi, BYCers:

We have a flock of five, but the other day, my husband found and rescued a Red Star pecking about in the parking lot of a local store. We've posted signs and asked around, but nobody has claimed this hen.

She (we hope) is in quarantine away from our other gals. Although this hen takes handling well, we noticed that her upper beak was trimmed. When her beak is closed, there's still a gap, sort of like how you'd hold your lips to whistle or say "Ooo."

We're feeding her a good diet enriched by infant vitamins. She's smaller than our other Red Stars, but with a full comb and wattle, so perhaps she's near, but not quite at, laying age.

Question: is it likely the beak will regrow? I'm guessing she wasn't vaxed and should we vax her? We plan to keep her in quarantine for at least a few weeks. Any help for our hobo gal?

Thanks!

2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i have red stars and their beaks were trimmed at the hatchery.i was shocked when i went and picked them up.i have had them for 11/2 years.and no mine never grew back.they are great layers.mine laid on through the winter months and they so sweet.i can pick them up and carry them around.wonderful birds.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

I had some battery hens and their beaks were trimmed as well, some very much [​IMG] During the 2 years I had these girls their beaks didn't grow back. I had to feed them in deep dishes and make the food wet for them, as some couldn't pick it up and eating off the ground was difficult for them.

4. Minvervah

Minvervah New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    What a cruel and barbaric practice.

5. HappyCochin

HappyCochin New Egg

Mar 22, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    Completely agree. We found a fighting rooster in our woods. Luckily he isn't aggressive. Both his spurs were removed and one had a small razor blade sticking out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by