Hog feeder holds 100 lbs

they don’t seem to make any mess with the food. i have used a few different feeders. first i used an old wood trough that was about 3 feet off of the floor but it was annoying to fill. then i used one from a company called Grandpa’s Feeders and it was well built but with deep bedding the it wasn’t ideal. the hog feeder is well constructed and fairly inexpensive for its size. the only thing i would say negative about it is that i had to place duct tape on two seams because i feed the chickens crumble feed and a little bit spilled out of the sides at the junction of the “hopper” and feed pan...but one strip of tape solved that.

however, i have had several problems with my waterer and am on my 4th type of waterer. first i had two 5 gallon waterers that you invert to fill...that was a hassle and bedding got into the water. then i tried two different ones with metal nipples. now i have a food grade 50 gallon plastics barrel with metal nipples placed at the bottom. it works well but the chickens still made a water mess in the bedding...so i cut a hole in the floor...framed a “stage” about 8 inches up and covered with hardware wire mesh that is about 5-6 inches bigger than the barrel so that any excess water drops to the ground instead. the barrel is fed by a float that comes from a rain barrel outside collecting water from the gutter. during this process i have flooded my coop twice with 50 gallons of water into 10 inches of bedding! i basically learned all of the ways not to design a waterer. fortunately now it’s all good. i also plugged in submersion heaters attached to a thermocube to keep from freezing. we’ll see if that works now that it’s getting cold.

Oh sorry I meant a lid the birds will jump on on the top and poop in there.
there’s not really a place to jump on...i guess they could jump on the very top but they don’t. the feeder part has a 1 inch rim all the way around. hogs spill more feed than chickens...so keeping feed from spilling out isn’t an issue.

Attachments

• C656353C-7B4B-4953-A661-055443E97B32.jpeg
    C656353C-7B4B-4953-A661-055443E97B32.jpeg
    635.2 KB · Views: 13
You must have the most well behaved chickens; mine would fling all 50 pounds onto the floor with that wide of an opening lol
i throw feed on the floor to help encourage them to scratch the deep bedding. i haven’t noticed extra feed around this feeder. the feeder isn’t super wide but they free feed whenever they want and it’s been certainly ample for 24 chickens. It’s actually the same width as my “Grandpa’s feeder” brand in the largest size...but holds 5-6x as much...

however, i have had several problems with my waterer and am on my 4th type of waterer. first i had two 5 gallon waterers that you invert to fill...that was a hassle and bedding got into the water. then i tried two different ones with metal nipples. now i have a food grade 50 gallon plastics barrel with metal nipples placed at the bottom. it works well but the chickens still made a water mess in the bedding...so i cut a hole in the floor...framed a “stage” about 8 inches up and covered with hardware wire mesh that is about 5-6 inches bigger than the barrel so that any excess water drops to the ground instead. the barrel is fed by a float that comes from a rain barrel outside collecting water from the gutter. during this process i have flooded my coop twice with 50 gallons of water into 10 inches of bedding! i basically learned all of the ways not to design a waterer. fortunately now it’s all good. i also plugged in submersion heaters attached to a thermocube to keep from freezing. we’ll see if that works now that it’s getting cold.

Have you tried the metal dome kind of waterers?
You lift off the dome top to fill it. No turning upside down.
When you put the dome back on, it pushes a little spring piece, and water can then flow out into a trough at the bottom.

I found a youtube video where someone demonstrates how it works:

Or just a place that sells them and has one photo:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/harris-farms-5-gal-double-wall-drinker-2167191

I haven’t had luck with waterers that have a trough. It seems like they kick bedding into it...which wouldn’t be a problem except it’s getting cold enough now that the wet bedding will never dry and it will freeze around waterer.

the top of the “hopper” has a lid. they haven’t jumped on top of the feeder...but they have scratched bedding into the trough...although, i haven’t ever had to clean it out...they do.

You must have the most well behaved chickens; mine would fling all 50 pounds onto the floor with that wide of an opening lol
I use the grandpas feeder 0 waste/weather proof/rat proof/tip proof/chicken proof/mess free! I love it, totally worth it, holds a bunch of feed, I will never go back to any thing after I purchased this! You guys should take a look! 2 links to show you what I mean! A link for any questions, and proof about why it is so good! A link for purchase!

Back
Top Bottom