Hog Panel Question

Very hard to bend an 8' panel and keep it's shape without extra t posts or securing to a wood frame. You are better off creasing it at 4' and making an A frame.
Just for fun, a bowed 8' panel set in a 4' frame creates a 2 1/2' high run. Is a 4' wide run of value? A full 16' panel set in an 8' frame creates just shy of a 6' peak. Stretch it to 10' and it's just over 5'.

Very hard to bend an 8' panel and keep it's shape without extra t posts or securing to a wood frame. You are better off creasing it at 4' and making an A frame.
Just for fun, a bowed 8' panel set in a 4' frame creates a 2 1/2' high run. Is a 4' wide run of value? A full 16' panel set in an 8' frame creates just shy of a 6' peak. Stretch it to 10' and it's just over 5'.
Thanks, but I need a small run. 2.5 ft high is perfect. As I said in my initial post, I need a small run, and it's a long story as to why.

My other run is about 215 sq ft and 6.5 ft at the peak.

This will be attached to a small wood coop at one end and a wood frame at the other. I just needed to know if it could be done, and according to what others say, it appears so.

Last edited:
The suspense is killing me!
Fine. Sheesh.

I've got a small coop for 2 special needs chickens. I have yet to build a run because of all kinds of issues with one of my ducks, an unexpected trip out of town, and a fall down my ravine which left me with injuries to BOTH of my hands. The area designated for this coop is small. It is going in my front yard since one of the special needs chickens requires extensive care, so I need to be able to get to her without hiking out onto the property. With access to the coop, 2 planned access doors on the top, and one on the end, I should be good. Plus, the front hard is fenced to keep out deer, so it has a 6ft fence, which should help a lil in keeping out predators. It doesn't need to be particularly tall because the chickens have mobility issues. Also, since it's in my front yard, neither the coop nor the run can be too tall or it will block some of the lighting along the fence, which provides the only light on the property at night. And I need it to kind of "work" with that part of the garden. And I don't want it to be an eyesore (my house is very cottagey-cute). All of this is temporary until I can move the goats, the big flock, and the ducks to another area of the property. I can't do that yet because of my dang hands. And it can't be too expensive because, contrary to popular belief, teachers don't get paid during the summer, and summer school was cut waaaaay short this year, so I'm being as frugal as I can.

Phew. There you go.

Good to know! Fellow teacher here. It sounds like a good project. I'm sorry you fell and got hurt. Not how I would want to spend my time off. Your babies are so lucky to have you!
Oh! Hello, fellow educator! What do you teach? When do/did you start back?

Tomorrow is my last day off. And, yes, I badly sprained right thumb and a large splinter impaled my left wrist. And of that didn't suck enough, I tumbled over blackberry bushes and landed in poison oak. I'm so graceful. And so itchy.

Back
Top Bottom