Hola! From Puerto Rico

Echotraveler

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2015
Hello guys!

Im taking a Urban Agriculture curriculum at a local university. The last class was about "urban chickens"...long story short i got 2 chicks (1 black star, 1 Red Star) from a very good local breeder.

I live in the city, and own the rooftop of my apt building. Contacted a local dog house builder to make a coop for me and we just put it up on the rooftop. Thats sort of my main concern right now, and the why i joined the forum.

Right now i have 2 2month old chicks and id like to get 2 more. But the roost inside the coop is 30" and if i extend it to 40" id be putting the roost over the door and the ladder would collect poop. So I'm thinking of putting a big roost outside and let the chickens decide were to sleep. Im a bit disappointed with this part as my design was different from the one my builder ended up making and while its pretty, im now concerned with this. Ive got a big run and too little roost space. But maybe I'm drowning in a small puddle

Cheers

Hey Loud Hen! :)
Maybe i should post my question about the coop elsewhere. Lol i cant sleep thinking about this coop roost thing!

Yeah i know but you posted right place i just wanted to say hello and let you know we both new in the backyard chicken thread and joined up just about the same time .Im gonna say goodnight as it is almost 1:00am here in Georgia usa lol

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Nice set up you have there for a rooftop. What you have now could you turn all of that into roost space? And then add another run on. I personally would not just have a roost outside in the open to let them decide. I'm not sure what flying predators you have but they would easily get picked off on an open roost. Certainly post your question in the coop run design section for further help and ideas. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-amp-run-design-construction-amp-maintenance

Wishing you the very best of luck. Enjoy BYC :frow

I thought I already answered you, I guess not. The ramp or ladder to the upstairs coop looks pretty steep. Do your birds go up that high?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love your coop! It's so cute! Make sure they can go inside at night. Roosts are great outside but should not be where the birds are sleeping.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Back
Top Bottom