Cause for concern or just personality?

Cpgrnwd

Songster
May 22, 2023
Central IL
This is my first year with chickens. I brought home 6 in March and had to rehome one cockrell. The other 5 pullets are all laying and seem to be getting along well. I purchased from a feed store and was told 2 black astrolorp (lulu and nunu) 1 sapphire gem (violet) 1 amerucana (although i have posted pics here and been told EE gogo) and finally one EE (dude).

Dude is the one i am concerned about. She looks like a speckled Sussex to me and she lays brown eggs. She has been laying about a month now and refuses to use the nest boxes. She spends quite a bit of time in the coop or running in and out of the coop in the run. She tends to look like she is looking for a place to set something down. She is also sleeping on the poop boards not the roost.

Our coop is 4x8 with two 4 foot roosts opposite each other. The run is a covered dog kennel 5x15.

Most days they get to free range with supervision for an hour here or there. Some days multiple times rare days not at all.

I have tried putting putting her in the nest and holding her there for a few minutes while reassuring her. Last night I placed her on the roost I'm not sure if she stayed or not.

Im just wondering if this is cause for concern or just a personality thing. She usually lays in the corner of the coop but sometimes they are in the run or laying in the coop like she dropped it on the go because the pine bedding is several inches thick. She makes nests in the corners.

Attachments

• 7F6D3B7F-24AD-4F07-8824-B30CCB4A1AD6.jpeg
    7F6D3B7F-24AD-4F07-8824-B30CCB4A1AD6.jpeg
    939 KB · Views: 80
I wouldn't be concerned. Make sure she can reach the roost bar, and place some fake eggs in the nesting boxes if you'd like
I do have roll away nest boxes. Is it best to stick fake eggs in them stiil? I'm assuming they would need to stay visible if i do.

I do have roll away nest boxes. Is it best to stick fake eggs in them stiil? I'm assuming they would need to stay visible if i do.

I see. Never liked those. Yes, they would. Most roll away nest boxes I've seen seem pretty uncomfortable for the birds, not much bedding to make a hole and sit nicely. Not necessarily the problem here however

Maybe i will try giving her a traditional nest.
You could just put bedding in one nest with a fake egg to help her get used to going in them.
Then after she's got the habit slowly remove the bedding over some time.

Not roosting.
Is she one of the younger birds?
Maybe she's being chased off the roost, and away from nests, by older birds?

Got pics of inside of coop, curious how you have 2 poop boards in a 4x8 coop.

You could just put bedding in one nest with a fake egg to help her get used to going in them.
Then after she's got the habit slowly remove the bedding over some time.

Not roosting.
Is she one of the younger birds?
Maybe she's being chased off the roost, and away from nests, by older birds?

Got pics of inside of coop, curious how you have 2 poop boards in a 4x8 coop.
The structure is 8x8 . I had one roost across the back but it was too high for them to fly down so I changed them to the sides. I may take down the divider and remodel next year but I feel like the 5 of them have plenty of room. Ideally my plan is to get 2 more next year. These girls are all the same age. Im not seeing her getting picked on, but as you see in pic she's inside hanging out on the poop board instead pf socializing. She has not laid yet today so I assume that's why she's hanging inside.

Attachments

• 4336C0DA-374B-4CBC-8F58-EF0EA35B4C6A.jpeg
    4336C0DA-374B-4CBC-8F58-EF0EA35B4C6A.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 22
  • FBA09457-0993-415F-BB7D-94B0288324F9.jpeg
    FBA09457-0993-415F-BB7D-94B0288324F9.jpeg
    628.2 KB · Views: 22
Also the board across the back was part of the original poop board and i left it there so they can walk side to side when i reoriented the roost.

The poop board is right next to the roost, which doesn't seem all that spacious. I am also thinking this is a case of bullying. Her spending more time in the coop also points toward that

Back
Top Bottom