Hold my hand please, first timer here....

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
Ok, so I bought the only incubator in town, the still air LG. I put the 12 eggs in it on 8/23 even though I wrote 8/24 on the eggs. It was ready early. I have been maintaining temp at 99.5 to 100 pretty easily. I have candled several times, discarded one cracked egg with no signs of life. All 11 remaining are alive and kicking. They are black australrops.

I am counting tonight as lockdown. Here is my set up. I have a syringe and IV tubing going in for addition of water. I also have a magnifying glass to read the thermometer that came with the LG.

34566_bator.jpg

Today we wrapped the eggs carefully in towels while my husband quickly installed a computer fan as recommended by BYCers. He wired it, covered the fan with hardware cloth, elevated it off the styrofoam with wooden beads, and attached it with pipe cleaners.

34566_bator-2.jpg

I have all the water trays full and chunks of sponges in the trays. I have foam shelf liner on top of the wire and an extra sponge. The IV tubing goes into the largest water tray. I have my 11 eggs on their sides with space in between. I have a thermometer/hygrometer inside as well as the one that came with the incubator. Plus, I have a third remote thermometer on my desk with a probe inside. I am a nurse. I can't help it. If one is good, three are waaay better. That silver cylindrical thing with white cord is a video camera installed so our grandchildren can watch from home. If you have SKYPE, look me up, nursemary49, and ask to be my friend. Then you can watch my hatch too!

34566_bator-3.jpg

Ok, so here is my problem. Try as i might I cannot get the humidity above 50%. I bought a hygrometer yesterday at Walmart and tried to calibrate it last night. It only got up to 61% in 12 hours so I returned it for this one. I did not have time to calibrate it before lockdown. So what do I do? Leave as is and hope for the best? Should I put bowls of water in there with marbles in them?

All advice and criticism is welcomed. If you see something wrong TELL ME! I am a nervous wreck. Meanwhile, my broody BCM, Wilma, is sitting on the other 12 eggs out back and she is cool as a cucumber. She doesn't even have ONE thermometer!

34566_wilma.jpg

Mary

Sponges... lots & lots of sponges.
You have all kinds of room in there. Put a plastic dish in a corner with water & a sponge in it. That'll raise your humidity.
Also...
Your hatch may be a little late if you had the still air temp at 99-100. Temps for still air 'bators are 102 degrees measured at the top of egg.
Nice work with the fan installation!
Everything looks fine. Good luck with your hatch!

(I'm a nurse, too. I prefer oxygen tubing with the nasal cannula end cut off, though. LOL!)

I am on oxygen at night so I can't spare any of my O2 cannulas!
hmm.png
Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Anyway, I had the IV tubing and a 60 cc syringe given to me by my vet. It works great. Well, I am off to get more sponges!

Thanks,

Check in on us via SKYPE. I'll post when the action starts.

p.s. Even with three thermometers we often had temps exceeding 100 so hopefully we will not be late. I have a bet with Wilma. Whoever gets the first chick gets a manicure/pedicure.

Mary

I'm not familiar with SKYPE.
I'm about to head to bed. I had button quail hatch yesterday and half of my cortunix hatched today. I've been sitting in front of the hatcher for 2 days straight & I still have half the cortunix to go. It'll be day 20 in about 5 minutes, so I'll be keeping an eye out for my chicken eggs to pip also.
Then, I'll finally have a rest... that is... until next week when the ducks and guinea eggs are due!

same problem with mine. I had to put lots of things with water to raise it!!! I put like 5 small bowls with water and a couple of cups with water to raise it to 60%-70%

I like the picture of Wilma. she does look cool as a cucumber; not worried about anything. That's the way i like to hatch 'em... let momma hen do all the work.

If you put sponges in the dishes of water, it'll go right up. The holes in the sponges add to the surface area which increase the humidity.

Quote:
im gonna use sponges this time then
big_smile.png
instead of all the cups and the other stuff
roll.png

Last edited by a moderator:
First your not really going to find a hygrometer that will read a correct reading...for some reason where they are packed, or shipped or how they are shipped causes them to lose something...

Once you calibrate it, they cant be fixed...so what you do is ...mine for example is off by 8%...so when I read 44% I add the 8% its off and my actual humidity is 53%. My other one is 15% off....my mother in law has 4 bators and hers are all off also by different numbers. So calibrate it and use it...

I have an LG9200 and have excellent results with it...if you like I will email you on how I work my LG and what works for me using it...since LGs are touchy...I never adjust the knob, I work with my room surroundings.

good luck Pm me if you have questions. have to run, pipping and have rolling eggs tonight, just started and its going on midnight, figures...lol

Back
Top Bottom