Hold old should chicks be before they get 'real food' (ie: veggie scraps)

CityChikn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Lees Summit, MO
I understand that chickens regardless of age need access to grit when they receive 'real food', but at what age can a chick start getting veggie scrap treats? I have three 2 week old Bantams and I'd love to give them the left over salad, broccoli, popcorn, etc. But are they too young?

Any time now. Some wait till their three weeks. Chop it fine and a little at a time, until they get use to it. The pop corn I'd wait a couple of more weeks, and then not salted.

Do they eat cooked veggies or only raw? What about bean sprouts? Do they need grit if feeding kitchen scraps? Can they eat apples? Sorry- I'm new at this!

I've always done treats from about 3 days old; chopped fine, small amounts. Just about anything I would eat except avocado.

Quote: Either cooked or raw
Sprouts are OK
Apples are OK
Yes to chick grit.

Imp

When you start giving them whole treats they have to peck apart, they should probably be about 7 weeks old. Make sure you give them grit at any age you give them treats.

Again anytime. Start with the small worms or cut up the bigger ones. When they get to playing keep away, they'll pull them apart themselves. Just remember folks moderation in all things.

I put some grit in a bowl today and they haven't touched it! Then in another bowl I put some ripe banana and again- completely ignored it! Should I mix the grit in with the food? I feed manna pro medicated crumbles.

I put some grit in a bowl today and they haven't touched it! Then in another bowl I put some ripe banana and again- completely ignored it! Should I mix the grit in with the food? I feed manna pro medicated crumbles.

Chickens are often afraid of new things. It might take them a while to try.
I wouldn't stress about it. If it worries you go ahead and sprinkle a little on their food.

Imp

Thank you! I think they did peck at the grit. Today I cut up romaine lettuce really fine and they ate a whole bowl! Maybe they like salad better than fruit. I also gave them dried mealworms tonight- we will see if they eat them tomorrow ! Thanks for everyone's replies!! :)

Back
Top Bottom