Hold old should chicks be before they get 'real food' (ie: veggie scraps)

The "Happy HensTreats" which are dried mealworms were a big favorite with all 4 pullets. I'm trying bean sprouts now. No to banana and loved chopped romaine - and they didn't touch the leftover steamed broccoli ! They certainly have personality! :D

My 3 chicks are only 5 days old, but yesterday and today I gave them a sprig of parsley plucked from the plant growing along our front walk. My objective is two-fold. One, I want to give them something to investigate other than the chick crumbles, water dish, and bedding in their brooder. In other words, the parsley helps to alleviate boredom. Two, I want them to eat a wide variety of foods when they are older, and I figure this is a good way to improve my chances there. Yesterday they pecked at the parsley a little. Today they were really trying to tear bits off. Not sure if anyone managed to actually eat any, but I figure it's a good sign. Tomorrow I'll be offering them a few lentil sprouts. I've also been sprinkling a little chick grit on their crumbles. I've definitely seen them pick it up; have to take it on faith that they actually swallowed some.

Can chopped up Romaine lettuce cause diarrhea ? Or is it most likely due to something else like maybe worms? I plan on worming them next week. One has black runny poop.

At about 5 weeks old, I gave my chicks their 1st worm, it was the funniest thing I've seen!! The lucky girl who grabbed it just took off running around the coop trying to find a safe place to chow down! One of my girls has learned that she can stick her head through the chicken wire with her catch and eat it in peace! So funny!

Back
Top Bottom