Holderreads

alaskaduckgirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Hi everyone!

So my parents gave me the go to start compiling an order to get some Holderread ducklings!
smile.png

I can only have up to 12 ducklings (if there are too many males we are going to sell them off)

Anyways, so far my list is: 4 Saxony, 4 Welsh Harlequins, and 4 Silkie Ducks.

I REALLY want silkie ducks, but I am worried about the cold and how the other ducks would do with them?

Also, they would be in a 5' 6" wood fence with a duck coop (still needs to be built). Would the silkies do ok if we heated the duck coop?

Thanks!

Silkies are sure cute, but I would be worried about those feathers in your climate. You can heat the coop, but that can get expensive and the other 2 breeds don't need it. It also introduces a fire risk. I would just get extra Welsh Harlequins
big_smile.png

Sorry--I can't help with the heat thing, as I don't know much about silkies (also, I don't see where you're from--what kind of climate do you have?). But I can suggest some other breeds I think are cool!
big_smile.png

Magpies are gorgeous, and great egg layers.
Lots of people love Dutch Hookbills--they're kinda cool, too.
Cayugas are stunningly gorgeous and decent egg layers--their eggs are green!
Silver appleyards are rare, so they'd be fun to have for that reason alone.

Good luck! You're going to love them so much, and Holderread is the best possible place to spend your money!
smile.png

Thanks for the info!

So I switched up my order to have 5 Dutch Hookbills, 6 Silver Appleyards, and 2 magpie ducks.
big_smile.png

No Welsh Harlequins sadly. My dad really wanted Dutch Hookbills and Silver Appleyards.
roll.png
So much for me picking out what I wanted.
tongue.png

Sure! But I hope I didn't talk you out of the harlies & the Saxonies. People who have them REALLY love them--I only didn't mention them because I figured you were already sold on them. Honestly, anything you buy from Holderread is going to be wonderful. Harlequins are great layers, I've heard they have nice personalities, and they're cool because you can sex the babies at hatching by bill color. I don't know much about saxonies, but I know there are folks on here who love love love them. I just thought I'd offer some other options in case you can't have silkies. I think silkies are gorgeous, and have thought about getting some myself (but I live in a mild climate).

Seriously, though, you really can't go wrong. Any ducks you get are going to make you happy.
smile.png
Enjoy!!

Well, I changed my order again!
tongue.png

My dad and I mad an agreement, we are getting 5 Dutch Hookbills, 4 Silver Appleyards, and 3 Saxonies. We decided no on the magpies because a friend of ours said they are able to fly. Of course the dutch hookbills can fly (or so I have heard) but we would just clip one wing on them. We decided on getting Appleyards because we like how big and beautiful they are. Of course I thing the Saxonies will be great, hopefully I can get a nice pair out of the 3 and do some small time showing.
smile.png

Quote:
Magpies CANNOT fly off, I promise... lol. They are far too big. All the breeds you have talked about can not fly, even the little silkies (their feathers aren't right for flying). Only mallards, calls, aussies spotted, black east indies, etc (Bantam, under 2lobs) can fly. My 3lb runner can fly about 2 feet. lol

Back
Top Bottom