Holding Baby Chicks

You can hold the chick in your palm and loosely keep it there wrapping your fingers around it so it can't jump. You aint gonna break it. Remember they huddle under their momma naturally so they tend to like being held like that.
Thanks for the tip Neo, these nuggets of info are important to a noob like me 🐥❤️

You can hold the chick in your palm and loosely keep it there wrapping your fingers around it so it can't jump. You aint gonna break it. Remember they huddle under their momma naturally so they tend to like being held like that.
These words you shared ran through my head as I picked up and held 3 of my 6 chicks. "You aint gonna break it" 🐥 ❤️
Neo, your expertise are priceless. Thank you for sharing your knowledge :thumbsup

The pecking is curiosity - they're trying to figure you out and want to see if you taste good. :) Not an issue unless you don't want to be pecked (some people don't like it).

Using a singing/soft voice is soothing to them so not a bad idea to use that when you're around them, they'll start learning to associate it with you.
Rosemarythyme,
They go after my little birth marks on my arms, and think the veins in my wrist are worms!!! 😆
🐥❤️

For my chicks' first treat, I mixed some water in with their food to make a mash. I had it in the palm of my hand, slid my hand in from the side, and sat there until one of them was brave enough to peck at it. (Get comfy; it might be a while!) Then the rest of them joined it. It felt like getting tapped with half a dozen dull pencils! Fun for them, and fun for me.

Good luck! Enjoy your chicks while they're this size. They get big fast.
Sally PB, A perfect tip for all noobs! Thank you for sharing this tid bit
🐥❤️

I brood in a large plastic tote. As long as I move slowly and not directly on top of them, they seem to be ok with it. They quickly learn to step up into my hand to come out for a bit! They will not do this forever, though, and by 3 weeks or so, they will not longer want to be held so much. Like a child, they will want to run around and explore. They will still happily sit on you and nap and preen, though!

I use pieces of cardboard to make a large enclosure, and put it on top of an old sheet. Way cheaper than using puppy pads every time they have playtime, and washable.

If you have some sort of fence, you can take them outside for short periods (maybe 15 minutes at first) and let them learn about grass, dirt, and bugs. They will enjoy it, and you will enjoy watching them! Just make sure that whatever you carry them out in has a cover, or they can jump out.

I put my hands of their wings on the sides of their bodies to pick them up
They are used to my hands now because I have given them a couple grubs and hang out with them often. When all is calm, I go for the scoop! So far I have picked up 3 of the 6 and sat outside of the brooder/playpen so she can see her friends. The first time I held one I was more nervous than the chick 😂
Thank you Pippin
🐥❤️

I use an extra large dog crate as a brooder. Yup, it was $85, but to me, money well spent. I have more than one use for a dog crate.

Why it worked so well for me:

It has two doors, one on the end, one on the side, so I can access it conveniently, wherever I put it.

I lined the sides with cardboard, so they couldn't escape between the bars. That helped contain the dust, somewhat. They make a LOT of dust!

I could hang stuff from the bars. Feeder, waterer, shiny stuff for toys to peck at. I used a dowel for their first perch, and started it at about 4" from the floor, and raised it up to the next bar later.

Plenty of air circulation. (Did I mention the dust...)

I can use it again any time I need a brooder; it folds flat for storage.

In case you're wondering what other uses... it makes a great container to harden off garden seedlings too! Critter proof, I can cover it with a sheet to protect them from too harsh of sunlight or wind.

Try approaching them on their own level rather than from above and allow them to come to you for taming. Good luck, and enjoy your flock.

So for most bird species, their sight is most limited directly behind them and above them, so they impulsively fear anything that comes in those directions because it is generally where the predators come from. Coming from the side where they have very good vision will give them time to react to you being a caretaker rather than a predator.

With my first experience raising chicks, not only did we try to pick them up individually and hold them, but we also sat with them during their "free time" outside the brooder and gave them treats. Eventually, a lot of free time became the chicks voluntarily jumping up on our laps, arms and shoulders to rest. I am not sure if this actually was bonding time, but we sure enjoyed it! This time also allowed us to figure out which chicks were naturally more friendly and which were more skittish. Those chicks dont live with us anymore, but when we visit them, these personalities still hold true today. The two friendliest will still jump up and sit on my lap or next to me, and the two skittish ones want to be nearby but out of arm's reach.

Back
Top Bottom