Hole in back of neck- will it close? vet says cull *update*

Nothing wrong with a little gentle debridement with a guaze sponge, you can - with saline-moistened guaze - wipe over the wound until it bleeds a little if she tolerates it. The smell is not nescessarily a cause for alarm, the necrotic tissue will be stinky as it has lost it's blood supply and as it breaks down and loosens from the underlying tissue. Do not try to be too aggressive, any tissue that is ready to remove will come off fairly easily. There is still good reason for hope as long as she is eating and drinking.

Ouch! I am sorry that this happened. I am fairly new to raising chickens. The first week I had my girls (they were 1 1/2 years old), two dogs got into the run. They killed 3 and I had to put one down. One of my Australorps (Angie) was chewed up pretty good under her wing. I watched and waited. I put hydrogen peroxide on her 3x a day along with Neosporin. The first two days she ate very little. By Day three she wasn't using her left leg at all and her foot had curled under. I really thought I was going to have to put her down. Her partner Lena stayed with her at all times. The other girls were protective of her. At night I would put her on top of the roost and take her down in the morning. By Day five she was still limping, but she was coming off the roost by herself. This happened a couple of months ago. Today she has all her feathers and is queen of the roost again. Oh, she is also the first one to fly over the fence!!!
celebrate.gif

Lisa :)

glad to hear she is doing good. I was reading another post on here. Her chicken has a wound it the same place. She put a dog dress on the chicken to keep it from getting pecked. It seems to be working. I wish I new how to post the picture here of the chicken in the pink dress
lau.gif
.I'ts awsome.

well she survived the night, I noticed this morning that she has laid a shell-less egg, is that because she is stressed?

The wound does not smell good. I know it needs to be debrided and the dead tissue removed but there is no vet that is going to do that. I am not sure how to remove the dead tissue or if there is anything I can put on or use that would help.

I read about honey helping wounds, is it worth a shot?

Dressing don't stay on so it has to just be what I can put in. I have also heard of silver and charcoal for wound healing.
I love using honey on nasty wounds.. I've used it on ducks but never on a chicken.. if you ever decide to go that route make sure you get RAW honey..

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...d-wound-healing.aspx?e_cid=20120220_DNL_art_1

get it from a local beekeeper or someone who you trust to sell you the real thing

the stuff you buy at the grocery store has been processed to death and is pretty much worthless for wounds

X 2 on the honey for wounds.

I've used it on deep burns with immediate relief and removal of inflammation to the area by the next day. Took care of the pain, healed it amazingly fast and left minimal scarring. As a nurse, I can tell you that they are now charging big bucks for honey-impregnated dressings for deep wound care...one brand is called Medi-honey.

I'm not a wound care/ostomy/continence nurse really not up to date on the most advanced wound care techniques. I do know that the treatments we use on humans, enzyme dressings, silvadene, etc are a bit pricey for poultry (hell a bit pricey for anyone). That why I talked about the old fashion wet to dry dressing, economical and avaliable. From what I have seen in many vet practices their idea of sterile technique would get you fired where I worked in about 3 seconds. Any who, If you trust the studies, and see these things working, go for it. I have very little experience with honey as a medicine, other than soothing a sore throat.

LOL I do know it tastes great on corn bread with butter!

PinkHairGirl I do hope your hen is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom