hole in beak, help please!

if the end of a beak comes off , does it grow back?
Yes, but it may take several weeks for the beak to regrow. When the beak comes off she still has to eat and drink. The remaining tissue where the beak was attached to tissue contains very sensitive nerve endings. When she naturally pecks at food, it will be very painful trying to pick up food off a solid surface including soil.
You'll need to put her feed in a deep bowl and add lukewarm water to make a watery gruel for her to eat. Her "beak" wont hit the bottom of the deep bowl to cause pain.

Make sure the water isnt cold nor hot. After a few hours the feed will absorb a lot of water and you might have to add lukewarm water into the bowl to keep the gruel liquidy.
Make a fresh bowl of gruel every other day, you dont want mold to grow in the gruel which is toxic to birds.

After two weeks, you'll want to check and see if the beak has grown enough so that she can go back to eating normally by placing dry feed crumbles on a hard surface. Hopefully she'll be able to pick up the crumbles with her new beak and swallow them without dropping the crumbles. If she drops the crumbles or cant pick them up at all, continue with the deep bowl containing gruel for another week. Then give her the crumble test again until she is able to pick up feed crumbles without dropping them and so on.

Yes, but it may take several weeks for the beak to regrow. When the beak comes off she still has to eat and drink. The remaining tissue where the beak was attached to tissue contains very sensitive nerve endings. When she naturally pecks at food, it will be very painful trying to pick up food off a solid surface including soil.
You'll need to put her feed in a deep bowl and add lukewarm water to make a watery gruel for her to eat. Her "beak" wont hit the bottom of the deep bowl to cause pain.

Make sure the water isnt cold nor hot. After a few hours the feed will absorb a lot of water and you might have to add lukewarm water into the bowl to keep the gruel liquidy.
Make a fresh bowl of gruel every other day, you dont want mold to grow in the gruel which is toxic to birds.

After two weeks, you'll want to check and see if the beak has grown enough so that she can go back to eating normally by placing dry feed crumbles on a hard surface. Hopefully she'll be able to pick up the crumbles with her new beak and swallow them without dropping the crumbles. If she drops the crumbles or cant pick them up at all, continue with the deep bowl containing gruel for another week. Then give her the crumble test again until she is able to pick up feed crumbles without dropping them and so on.
Thank you. My little rooster has a crack on the tip of his beak. I am worried that it will come off

If it's only the tip, then even if it does come off he will likely be fine. As long as the quick is not damaged too much beaks will grow back with some time, it can be slow. Pictures are helpful.

The hole looks about the same, we’ve done about 3 rounds of neosporin. I can’t see or smell anything else around her mouth. She is still eating, drinking, and bossing the other girls around!
I know this is a few months old now but how is the beak doing? I just noticed one of my pullet has a similar looking issue with her beak. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom