hole in ducks bill

aaronmg

Chirping
Jul 25, 2021
okay, so my neighbour has these chihuahuas, and they bark at my ducks but they can't get into my garden as the fence is over 6 feet tall. i came into the garden just now to check on my ducks and i noticed my one cayuga had a red blotch on her bill (i initially thought it was remanence of a ladybug), but it was like thick and red blood, almost flesh like, but i looked on the other side of a bill and noticed it had a hold, and i am mortified. she has a few more cuts on her bill but i think these will probably heal, but i have no idea how to treat her bill or if the hole will heal up on its own. there doesn't seem to be blood pouring from it unlike the cuts by her mouth. and I am confident it was the chihuahua as all my ducks seem very upset, either scared or a bit angry (they are usually very happy even when handled) and they're shaking their heads in the little rages that ducks have and they're hiding under chairs. i can handle the dog putting bricks around the fence, but im worried if i can't treat my little duck and what that might mean for her

Are you sure that is a chihuahua bite looks to be too big? Other predators can cause a bite like that or could your duck have stuck its bill in something and gotten punctured?

My gander punctured his bill once and it healed fine. Rinse your ducks bill in some warm salty water and then keep fresh clean water for it to dunk it's head in.
I agree with @sourland with what your describing with them hiding I am thinking another predator besides a small dog.

That looks as if it should heal quite readily. I'd just monitor it. I'd also be on high alert in case another predator - perhaps a raptor of some sort - has been after them.
i think if a bird of pray swooped down I would have heard some screaming, it was definitely the neighbours dog. will she really be okay?

Are you sure that is a chihuahua bite looks to be too big? Other predators can cause a bite like that or could your duck have stuck its bill in something and gotten punctured?

My gander punctured his bill once and it healed fine. Rinsed your ducks bill in some warm salty water and then keep fresh clean water for it to dunk it's head in.
it would be. the dog has been barking at them for a while through the fence, and they watch it through the fence a bit interested. they've grew up with it barking since they were little ducklings so they're a bit desensitised to it, and its been trying to dig under the fence i've just noticed, and i suspect they've seen the dirt moving, thought it was a bug and not realised it was a dog (they've heard dogs but they've never seen them), i think she got nipped but not a proper bite. im draining the pond as we speak. epsom salts or something else? i was hesitant of giving her deep water because I didn't know if water getting in would be bad

Epsom salt or just plain salty water. You just want to wash out any bacteria from the bite. You want her to be able to dunk her head to keep her bill clean.
I'm thinking tiny dog when I think of Chihuahua with very small mouth.

Last edited:
A hawk swooped down and took out my bantam rooster and no one made a peep. They all were hiding under bushes etc.
i dont think it was a hawk because i'd have a duck missing, dead, or severely injured, whereas all I have are 3 out of 5 ducks with minor cuts or scratches and one with a hole in her bill. it might look bigger than it is because i've zoomed in on her and she is smaller than an average cayuga

Epsom salt or just plain salty water. You just want to wash out any bacteria from the bite. You want her to be able to dunk her head.
i have some iodine if that would work better? i've got purple spray and triscrub too?

Just whatever you use make sure not to get it in her eyes and read if it's safe to use around the face. I have used blue kite on some of my chickens when they have injured their combs or wattles and I use a qtip to apply when doing it around the face.

Back
Top Bottom