Hole in Eggs?

I have thrown the eggs away. It's just a small hole in the egg and the contents of the egg is still there only all dried up. I check my chicks every morning and collect eggs. It's only every once in awhile that I find a egg with a hole in it.

I have a similar issue with my Cuckoo Marans' eggs (she's the only dark brown egg layer in my mixed flock). I was sure she was pecking them, and was really bummed because she lays the absolute most beautiful eggs!

Then, one day, I was puttering around outside by the coop while she was in the nesting box. Certain I could catch her in the act, I loitered around quietly until a thunderous THUNK rumbled through the peace - loud enough that it made my son and I jump.

My girl was not pecking the eggs at all. She's laying them standing up...possibly with a running start. I started looking at the damaged eggs, and sure enough, the damage was only on the blunt end of the eggs!

It's just a small hole in the egg and the contents of the egg is still there only all dried up. I check my chicks every morning and collect eggs.
How could the contents be all dried up if you collect eggs every day?
I assume you are opening the eggs to see what's in there?

Definitely take pics of anything that seems odd to you.

Back
Top Bottom