Hole in the egg

mmhdlh

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2016

Can someone identify what's going on with this egg?
Thanks in advance!

Looks like it just didn't 'finish' in the hen. How long has that hen been laying? If it becomes a regular occurrence, you may need to make some changes to her diet.

Thank you!!
She has been laying since October... We'll definitely keep a close watch on diet... They eat a variety of: layer crumbles, poultry mix, oyster shells, whole corn, backyard graze-2-3x/wk, mealworm treats, our leftovers :).... We add a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar to their water.. But we want to continue to learn and do best practices. We live in town with no fence so they are usually in their run and coop which is why grazing is not daily...

Your hen is having a problem with calcium. Her body either isn't absorbing enough calcium to lay down a complete shell in her shell glad, or she's not eating enough oyster shell.

I recently started giving people calcium with vitamin D (Caltrate) to two older hens who were having problems with thin-shelled eggs or no-shell eggs. I gave them a quarter tablet each morning for several days, and it worked.

The one with the thin shells improved the thickness and the one who had no shell is developing a shell, although it's not of sufficient thickness yet to keep from breaking under her weight in the nest. The remarkable thing about both these hens is they are seven years old.

So if the calcium tablets improved my hens' eggs, I'm sure it will be even more effective with your young layer.

Warning. Too much calcium is not good for a hen, so as soon as her eggs improve, stop giving her the tablets.

Before adding yet another variable in the form of a supplement, I would first simplify your feeding regime.
Go back to a good basic feed and very little, if any, other foods......and plain, clean water.

What is the 'poultry mix' and how much are you feeding?

The layer crumble has all the vitamins and minerals needed, but is often 16% protein, the minimum needed to produce eggs.
The other foods could be diluting/reducing overall protein, as well as the vitamins and minerals.

Before adding yet another variable in the form of a supplement, I would first simplify your feeding regime.
Go back to a good basic feed and very little, if any, other foods......and plain, clean water.

What is the 'poultry mix' and how much are you feeding?

The layer crumble has all the vitamins and minerals needed, but is often 16% protein, the minimum needed to produce eggs.
The other foods could be diluting/reducing overall protein, as well as the vitamins and minerals.
Agreed. It's not necessary calcium and could just as easily be nutrition based. I would work out the diet before adding additional calcium outside of the standard offering of oyster or egg shells.

Back
Top Bottom