Holes in eggs and double yolkers... Help!

Originally Posted by romstr

I also have an egg eater in my flock. I have had my girls for about two years and I have tried everything from emptying an egg and putting dish soap in to using mustard etc.. I even isolated the eater from the flock during the summer months ( once i found out which one it was which was not easy). The irony is my egg eater gave me the solution to my problem. My girl decided she wanted to live outside the coop all summer long. One day i walked inside the food storage side of my coupe and i noticed an egg in one of my galvanized buckets. My egg eater decided she would lay in this location. I walked in one day and noticed her pecking at the egg while out of the bucket. I thought what if I raised the bucket up just enough that she could not easily get her neck in to peck. It worked all summer she did not eat another egg. However winter came and she went back with the girls in the coop. We did not have any issues until around January when she again started going inside the nesting boxers and eating the eggs. My solution was to close off the boxes and move the bucket in for all the girls. After a few days they all started to lay in the bucket. I took this picture this afternoon as I watched my little eater try to get her neck into the galvanized bucket with not luck..She was not a happy happy chicken she was making all sorts of noises. I do not have a very large flock only 8 girls so my solution to the eater may not be suitable for others but i have three more buckets laying around to use if i need. The key to the solution is to have a bucket big enough for your hen but small enough that they cannot stand up and peck down. You also must make sure it is deep enough for her not to get her head in to eat the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom