holes in eggs

PuckPuck

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Quite often one of the 5 eggs the girls lay has a small hole in it. No egg substance is exposed - seems like its just into the air bubble. What is happening here? Is it from the egg dropping on the plywood in the nesting box, or should I worry about egg-eating by one of the chickens? Any info would be appreciated.

Puck Puck

I s the egg cracked and damaged from falling on plywood? Or just a hole? dose it looked as if a piece is missing with jagged edges or are the edges smooth? ........... I would first put some bedding in the nesting box to cushin the egg... Thats where i would start. Do they all lay in the same box? maybe you could seperate them to find out which hen is laying it that way or which one is doing the damage good luck let us know what you find. Maybe its just how one layes eggs! dont know

Do you have beding in your boxes? What i did cause i was scared of getting cracked eggs so what i did was went to wall mart and got floor mates like the spongie kind. It was like 7 bucks so i cut it up to fit the bottom of my boxes and glued them down and then put shavings in the boxes. So if they do kick out the shavings they pad is there still to cushion the eggs landing.

Do you free range? I've seen other birds such as song birds get in my coop & Polk holes in my eggs. I would add some fake eggs in your boxes. Then if something tries to polk a whole this could deter them.

Thank you all for responding. Here is more information: the hole is always small and jagged and the shell bit is like poked into the egg. There is only one egg that is 'holed' and it's always at the pointy end - and it happened again this morning: 3 eggs of which the pointy end of 1 is poked in. There is no access to small birds and the 5 chickens have 2 nesting boxes although they very rarely use more that the one. I put a phony egg in each nesting box and the foor is plywood with a small amount of bedding chips on the bottom.

Thanks for any advice

Puck Puck

Hi Puck Puck,

My Hen just layed one of these today... first time I've seen it and can't find any info on it. She laid a fairy/fart egg about 3 days ago and this is her first egg since that small one. She's regrowing a lot of feathers right now so I wasn't too worried about her lack of laying but now we've got an egg with a hole in it. We cracked it open and it looked fairly normal inside. Forgot to take a picture of the egg before we cracked it but I found a thread that shows what the hole looks like. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2311195 Our hole looked almost identical to this except it was on the pointy end of the egg. Notice how the edges of the hole look like they are coming out of the egg, not into it. Proof that our hens didn't peck the hole into the egg. We were with her when she layed the egg and she wouldn't have had time to do anything to it anyway.

So, any advice as to what this issue is would be appreciated. First a fairy egg, now an egg with a hole. Weird!

Thanks,
5Leepy!

Back
Top Bottom