HOLIDAY HATCH PARTY... chicks anyone... the party continues....

i need a garage... that's why i need...

hey hunny... didn't you want to build a garage.... your tools?? they're back on the porch where they were before you moved thim into my garage.. i needed more space for brooders....

lol... we don't have a garage at all on the property... we got a storage shed, but it's full of storage stuff.. lol. i need to go through and downsize.. but... eventually i will get to it... i really really need to figure out a way to get these guys out of the house.. they are making my head spin....

That is quite a brooder. I may need to do that before long. Is it boxes taped together? We do still have excessive packing boxes from when we moved.

We had a temperature spike after all those dips I was having (the incubator reacting to slightly warmer temps in the kitchen) and I think it might have ended my hopes for the last small hatch in early November. I'll know in a few days. I have my Silkies and Seramas coming and hopefully some white leghorns and australorps. (These are all eggs. My luck and I'll have even MORE australorp roosters.)

Anyway, I still have the chicks in large rubbermaid totes. I'm using the galvanized chick waterers for the little ones, because the depth of the water is a lot less. Even so, I had one weak chick this summer fall in drown. I moved my ducklings to one of the large totes by themselves. They have one of those plastic Little Giant waterers with a Classico pasta sauce jar. I'm having problems getting the water to actually come down.

Evonne, the hatchery chicks I've gotten seem a lot more independent than these. I think it's because the hatchery birds ship in a critical time frame. But, the plus side is that I can reach into the brooder, snatch a bird, play with him or check him out for health issues, and put him back without having the other birds screaming like they just had a visit from godzilla.

Quote:
Marbles in the water bowl. I lost one, due to baby standing over the dish and fell asleep, and drowned. I highly recommend marbles, alot of them. I had them in there, but not enough I guess. I also put them up on a small brick now. If you are talking about the darker colored water, I add, "Nutri-Drench," it is a nutritional supplement.

Yes, it was the marbles that I saw. That's a good idea.
thumbsup.gif

Congratulations on your chicks
jumpy.gif
they are adorable.

more pics of the babies.. If any can identify my standard chics I'd appreciate it:) I know what my banty is but the other 3 is my mystery bunch.
43714_chickies_082.jpg

43714_chickies_083.jpg

43714_chickies_088.jpg

43714_chickies_089.jpg

43714_chickies_093.jpg

Hi all,
Wow Kathy, your garage looks like fun. My kids want to come over and play.
ya.gif

Very cute!

Congratulations on the chicks Wegotchickens, R&Rcoop, and new2chooks
wee.gif

Thanks for starting this thread evonne.

Our chickens are going to be companions for sure. We sold 4 of our 9 today, the kids were sad to see them go but we decided to sell them earlier rather than later so we wouldn't be too attatched. Right now we're wathcing the game with chicks on our shoulders. I'm wondering how long they can be out of the brooder if we keep them warm with snuggly scarves and long hair? I also wonder what kind of treats we can give them? Oh, and how long do I need to keep marbles in the water dish?

Wegotchickens - I see your chick drinking from the water bottle, how hard is it to teach them how to do that? Mine are starting to scratch and they get their water covered in shavings. Is there any risk of drowning from the bottle?

Suechick......mine do that too. I just elevate their waterer and they don't kick the shavings in. I put my waterer (1 gal) on top of 2 2x4's wide side down. The 1 3/4 inch elevation gives just enough to keep them from kicking the shavings in it, but they can still get a drink easily. I also took the marbles out of the water dish. (chicks are a week old)

Edited to clarify: The 2x4's go side by side, not on top of each other. I put 2 of them for more stability. I don't want a smushed chick from the waterer tipping over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom