Holiday Help!

bilbo-baggins

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2018
I have had 'my girls' for about 6 months now, they are both laying eggs and are a joy to have. They live in our back garden in a stylish two bedroom coop contained within a walk-in enclosure. I shut the door for their coop every night and let them out every morning. I need to go away over Easter and need some help.

My other half let them out last week (for the first time) and they went crazy, they were both screaming at the top of their voices. They don't like change. I ideally would like to leave the door to their coop open and give them the freedom to come out when they want. I could leave enough food for two days and hope they'll be ok. My worry is the bossy red hen; once I forgot to shut the door and she was screaming the place down at 4 am.

What do you do with your chickens when you need to go away?

I had a neighbor come over, open the coop door, pick up eggs, and then shut the door at dark. That's it. I tried to keep it as simple as possible and even had feeder and waterer topped off so they didn't need to feed them or anything (I tested ahead of time to make sure the supply would be sufficient).

Back
Top Bottom