Holy cow! Keet hatched early! Do I increase humidity and temp?

Here’s a photo of the early bird

Attachments

• IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 8
Thank you so much, Silverbirds!!

I am increasing humidity. Will remove the egg turner and broken shell. Will turn off the brooder plate for now.

This is so exciting!!! (First timer, in case that wasn’t obvious given my mistake 😳)
You're welcome. First hatch is always a roller-coaster of emotions! But so are all the ones after that. 😆

Ran to the store and came back to a second keet!! I’m so happy there won’t be a lone keet.

I’m trying to gradually get the humidity up to 70. It’s around 64/65 with both reservoirs open. I’m surprised by how much water it’s taking to raise humidity.

I’m sure I’ll have a hard time sleeping tonight, thinking about what tomorrow will bring. 😁

@SilverBirds Thank you so much for your super fast answers tonight. This forum is invaluable.

There are five now! Brooder plate has been on since this AM, brooder is ready for action out in the coop.

When do I move them? First keet between 4-5pm May 24.

Last edited:
If this is your first guniea keets, be ready for the experience of a lifetime!

We have hatched a lot of keets and a few things we have learned after hatching. Disregard obviously if you know what you are doing. (But most people I know aren't crazy enough - like us- to hatch keets for a second time)

- we found keets are far more prone to dehydration and vitamin deficiencies. I strongly recommend sugar water every other watering and feeding scrambled egg occasionally. Make sure to have vitamin D and E supps on hand for emergency administration.

- Guinea fowl are really not intelligent - I am still not certain how they aren't extinct as a result of their stupidity. And keets even more so. We have had hens run into things full speed, one dying after running into a pole. Cocks roosting 10 feet from an owls nest and we have had keets run into the side of the brooder (galvanized tub) and kill themselves. We now use a towel around the outside of the brooder to cushion their blow). In general, they are very fast and flighty. So sticking your hand in there to change food/water can send them into a frenzy.

- Lastly - we strongly discourage feeding medicated feed - or atleast doing a bit of research before doing so. It has been found to have an adverse affect on them often as their digestive systems are a but more sensitive initially. We feed an organic turkey/pheasant starter, wetted to a mash.

But in the end, we will absolutely never not have Guinea fowl on our property. Their ability to walk the garden and eat only weeds, control the fly population at the coop entirely, and drive our jerk of a neighbor mad with their continuous screaming - has made them priceless.

Great choice on the hatch!

This is my first season incubating eggs. Previously I have purchased coop-ready adolescents and newly hatched keets.

I find guineas endlessly entertaining. They’ll make you curse and they’ll make you laugh.

My property has a severe tick infestation, including the Asian longhorned tick. Not exaggerating, I pick 30-40 a day off the dogs during summer.

So guineas!

Attachments

• IMG_0807.jpeg
    IMG_0807.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8472.jpeg
    IMG_8472.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 8
This is my first season incubating eggs. Previously I have purchased coop-ready adolescents and newly hatched keets.

I find guineas endlessly entertaining. They’ll make you curse and they’ll make you laugh.

My property has a severe tick infestation, including the Asian longhorned tick. Not exaggerating, I pick 30-40 a day off the dogs during summer.

So guineas!
Oh my! Go go gadget Guineas!

So guineas!
:sick:sick:sick

Back
Top Bottom