Holy Wow I Did It!!

DirtPatchFarmer

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
Eastern North Carolina
Hey everybody, I'm Tyler, the dirt patch farmer! A few weeks ago I had this really good idea that I was going to go out and buy some chickens, so I did. I got 6 RIR and 6 Barred Rock chicks. Then went and got a little guy(Squanto) for all my ladies the very next day. My chickies are somewhere around 5 weeks old now and I spend as much time with them as I can! I've got a runt(specifically chose her in store, and she's my favorite) her name's Bertha. I'm not too sure how much more to say here, but if you have any questions or would like to see my current brooder box set-up let me know!

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

Alrighty BYC fam!! This is my current set up. I have digital thermo lead, under the shavings, just off the front left corner of their little box(their favorite hide-out) and it consistently reads between 84° and 90°. I've done my fair share of research and everything seems to be just where it should. My chickies don't seem to be too hot or too cold. There is a waterer, but you can just barely see the head of it in the bottom of the second picture. As for Squanto, he is an Ameraucana.

A little background on me to explain how I got where I am and my set up. I'm currently on active duty, USMC, so I raided supply for the box and "lid", it's roughly 4x4, and I purchased my feed, feeder, shavings, waterer, and chickies at a mom and pop feed and garden here in Eastern North Carolina. Here in about two and a half weeks, when my contract is up, the chickies and I will load up in the jeep and make the 5 hour trek to South Carolina where I'll introduce them to my home, their forever home.
1520567254025389274433.jpg
1520567278264446382393.jpg

G’Day from down under Tyler :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These two might be of particular interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens
Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

This is also a great article: How Much Room Do Chickens Need

If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of Squanto and the gang, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Best wishes and good luck with the relocation!

Back
Top Bottom