Home brew

Baralak

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
West "By God" Monroe, La
Howdy all.. Yes I know it has been some time that I've posted but running two businesses and chickens, goats, wife, and kids... But I wanted to share this with you. I have of course owned several different types of incubators including a Brinsea octagon Eco, little giant, gqf 1602n, gqf Hova genesis 1588' and my latest a gqf 802 cabinet old school.

What I have here is another of my contraptions. This is a upright freezer that compressor had gone out. I got it for free and didn't want want to spend a bunch on it.. As you will see, i used a incandescent 75 watt bulb, and a thermostat out of a old industrial heat exchanger. Also showing a back up hot water heater thermostat. Now the egg turners are bought, but the first test I hand turned all of the eggs. This current set has a development rate very high, as I only have 3 eggs that aren't developing. Half the duck eggs are shipped, the rest are either mine, or locally picked up. A couple of air holes are drilled. Cut two squares of sheet metal on a pivot screw to open or close.

Cost

Freezer ----$0.00
Light socket --- $0.00 (used.. Pulled out of my junk box as u see part of it is broke)
Wire ---- $0.00. (cuts off of old junk)
Terminal strip $0.00. Pull out of an old speaker box
Thermostat 1 $0.00 pulled out of an old heat exchanger
Thermostat 2 $0.00 pulled out of an old hot water heater top thermostat
Power cord $0.00 pulled off of an old box fan
Light bulb $2.00 pack of 4. All I have is cf bulbs so...I have 3 spares
Water pan $0.50 bread pan from a yard sale
Foil 2.00
Down fan$0.00 pulled out of an old powerSupply
Up fan $0.00 don't know where but it was out of my junk box
Two thermostats and one hygrometer $ 30.00

Total $34.50

Time to build 2 hours

The turners .. Well one was used, two are new and wasn't part of the initial build.

Here is the video of in operation

[VIDEO]

Last edited:
Very nice! I've never hatched eggs before but that look like a great way to go. I have a empty fridge sitting in the garage right now. Maybe I'll talk hubby into turning into an incubator.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom