Home Depot Animal House Chicken Coop

Note that it says " for 2 or 3" hens. If that's all you plan to have, then it's probably sufficient. My daughter had this type of coop. She had 3 hens, and would let them out into her fenced yard much of the time. She moved the entire thing around at least once a week to keep one area from being stinky and mucky. It took two of us to move it.
She has sold her house and did not bring the little coop with her. She lives in a rural area now, and is planning a bigger flock and coop.

These prefab coops vary greatly in quality and that's the biggest problem. It might last 6+ years in Colorado weather like one I have or it could be a lemon and in a year or less you're making major modifications. That's just the randomness of these

Outside of that, take your pick of any of those prefab coops and they are all pretty much the same in my opinion.

They do also work really well for hospitals and backup coops.

Has anyone used this coop? Would you recommend it or nah? I will definitely need to add the expansion run but overall what's the consensus?

Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.cRather expensive for what you getom/p/Animal-House-Large-72-5-in-Modular-Chicken-Coop-and-Poultry-Cage-with-All-wire-Sun-Yard-5403680

My thoughts:
I've never used it, or seen one in person.
Only for 2-3 chickens at most (see description and dimensions)
For a chicken coop, that is tiny, even though the description says "large."
Should add a roof over the run, because the house part is not big enough even for one chicken to stay in all day (rain, snow, etc.)
Probably easy to tip over (heavy wind, playful dog, etc)
Probably not safe against large predators, because of being easy to tip over.
Looks cute.
The run is very well ventilated (a good thing, although of course any other wire run would be equally well ventilated!)
Might be expensive for what you get--someone who builds for themself can usually make one cheaper than a coop like that, but that coop may be cheaper than hiring someone to build a custom coop.

Given that I enjoy building things, I personally would not buy it. Whether it's right for you depends on a lot of details, like where you live and how many chickens you want.

It is roughly 2' x 6'. That is not even half a sheet of plywood in size.
My loveseat in the living room has more square footage.

My vote is a big NO.
WAY to tiny and looks to be the same cheap soft wood so many others are made of.
Not even going to mention how much of a pain in the back tending to cleaning and feeding would be.

I cannot see the prices it says not available to ship and not available in stores near me.

There are a lot of easy to build housing options like hoop coops.....
Is there a reason you are looking at the prefabs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom