Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

What is a prolific weed that you and your chickens can share? Purslane! I spent my day doing research on breaks from the garden. Here is what I found:

Purslane is very nutritious and adds omega 3 fatty acids to eggs: you and the chickens can eat leaves, stems, and flowers.

Chickens fed purslane did lose weight, but had improved egg production, and ate less food.

Purslane has high oxylates: the anti-nutrient that also has some anti cancer properties. It is 1/100th of the composition, which is pretty high: if you are prone to kidney stones, it is recommended that you avoid foods high in oxylates which includes many leafy greens: cabbage, broccoli, spinach, moringa, and more.

Chicken egg shells did lose calcium with oxylic acid added to hens diet. If you start feeding purslane, you may want to increase their calcium supplement.

Conversley, others report that the raw vegetable form oxylic acid typically binds just with the calcium in the plant once it is eaten, and that it does so more in the gut than in the bloodstream where it will cause kidney stones, or other problems like joint inflammation. They said it was more likely to be problematic after the chemical composition was altered by cooking.

Purslane is also found (along with mulberry leaf and an asian variety of wormwood 'artemisia capillaris' which had the best effect) to suppress the growth of virus including newcastle and avian flu in embryos of hens fed dried matter.

Purslane affects lactic acid in the body and a study with rats fed purslane in a liquid form found that the more purslane they ate, they less they suffered exercise induced fatigue and the longer they could perform.

Oxylates in purslane and spinach were reduced by increasing ammonium to ammonia ratio in hydroponic systems.

Very basic: Nitrate is NO3, NH2 is nitrite, NH3 is ammonia, NH4 is ammonium. Please look this up if you are into the chemistry as I left out a lot!

You can create ammonium from chicken poop by mixing in a solution of water and vinegar (or other acids). The nitrates mixed with water form ammonia. The vinegar being an acid lends a hydrogen atom and forms ammonium. You can do an experiment: mix some poo with just water and you will smell ammonia. Mix some with water and add a little splash of vingear at a time, stirring: in this you will soon not smell the vinegar, and you will possibly only faintly detect any ammonia. If you smell any ammonia, add a dash more vinegar. If you smell vinegar, add a bit more chicken poop.

Composting chicken poop results in very poor usuable nitrogen because it is lost as ammonia gas, or is in a pile that is not acidic enough to create ammonium. Fresh poop creates more ammonium than dry poop because the N is lost rapidly.

An experiment with wood vinegar and chicken manure found the 1part vinegar to 300 parts water mixed with chicken manure and tilled into soil significantly increased the yeild of rice without increasing foliage. Nitrogen typically increases foliage while decreasing yield.

I gathered lots of Purslane from around the yard, so I will do an experiment. I will have four areas: sandy unenriched soil, enriched soil (a bagged organic from compost), and both of these with identical feeding from my vinegar chicken poo and water mixture. They all get full sun. I will not be able to test for oxylates, but I will report on growth, flowering, and flavor. I will also test whether the chickens show a preference for any of the test plants.

I am going to wait a day for the plants to settle in from transplanting: i have sandy soil and they pulled out very easily with minimal root breakage. They will reroot from broken stems. They seed prolificly and seeds can remain viable for 40 years!

What is a prolific weed that you and your chickens can share? Purslane! I spent my day doing research on breaks from the garden. Here is what I found:

Purslane is very nutritious and adds omega 3 fatty acids to eggs: you and the chickens can eat leaves, stems, and flowers.

Chickens fed purslane did lose weight, but had improved egg production, and ate less food.

Purslane has high oxylates: the anti-nutrient that also has some anti cancer properties. It is 1/100th of the composition, which is pretty high: if you are prone to kidney stones, it is recommended that you avoid foods high in oxylates which includes many leafy greens: cabbage, broccoli, spinach, moringa, and more.

Chicken egg shells did lose calcium with oxylic acid added to hens diet. If you start feeding purslane, you may want to increase their calcium supplement.

Conversley, others report that the raw vegetable form oxylic acid typically binds just with the calcium in the plant once it is eaten, and that it does so more in the gut than in the bloodstream where it will cause kidney stones, or other problems like joint inflammation. They said it was more likely to be problematic after the chemical composition was altered by cooking.

Purslane is also found (along with mulberry leaf and an asian variety of wormwood 'artemisia capillaris' which had the best effect) to suppress the growth of virus including newcastle and avian flu in embryos of hens fed dried matter.

Purslane affects lactic acid in the body and a study with rats fed purslane in a liquid form found that the more purslane they ate, they less they suffered exercise induced fatigue and the longer they could perform.

Oxylates in purslane and spinach were reduced by increasing ammonium to ammonia ratio in hydroponic systems.

Very basic: Nitrate is NO3, NH2 is nitrite, NH3 is ammonia, NH4 is ammonium. Please look this up if you are into the chemistry as I left out a lot!

You can create ammonium from chicken poop by mixing in a solution of water and vinegar (or other acids). The nitrates mixed with water form ammonia. The vinegar being an acid lends a hydrogen atom and forms ammonium. You can do an experiment: mix some poo with just water and you will smell ammonia. Mix some with water and add a little splash of vingear at a time, stirring: in this you will soon not smell the vinegar, and you will possibly only faintly detect any ammonia. If you smell any ammonia, add a dash more vinegar. If you smell vinegar, add a bit more chicken poop.

Composting chicken poop results in very poor usuable nitrogen because it is lost as ammonia gas, or is in a pile that is not acidic enough to create ammonium. Fresh poop creates more ammonium than dry poop because the N is lost rapidly.

An experiment with wood vinegar and chicken manure found the 1part vinegar to 300 parts water mixed with chicken manure and tilled into soil significantly increased the yeild of rice without increasing foliage. Nitrogen typically increases foliage while decreasing yield.

I gathered lots of Purslane from around the yard, so I will do an experiment. I will have four areas: sandy unenriched soil, enriched soil (a bagged organic from compost), and both of these with identical feeding from my vinegar chicken poo and water mixture. They all get full sun. I will not be able to test for oxylates, but I will report on growth, flowering, and flavor. I will also test whether the chickens show a preference for any of the test plants.

I am going to wait a day for the plants to settle in from transplanting: i have sandy soil and they pulled out very easily with minimal root breakage. They will reroot from broken stems. They seed prolificly and seeds can remain viable for 40 years!
That sure is a lot of cons, as in pros and cons, for this weed. Are you sure you want to use it?

I try to include everything so people can decide if they want to use it: I think some people do not enjoy reading scientific papers so they will not look deeper, and I do not want to ignore down sides. Only 1 con is the oxylic acid, which would be reduced by increasing ammonium. In Greece they looked at the eggs because the people were extrodinarily healthy and found they were super rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. The chickens there happily browse the purslane as part of their diet, and that is where the eggs get the omega 3.
I just read another study that examined fish oil and purslane in protecting kidney and liver from damage from a very strong antibiotic that is known to cause both liver and kidney damage: they both did great. There were no side effects to the fish oil or the purslane. They did the study because they think it could help in cases of chemo that causes damage, but each drug would have to be examined individually, I think. So if fish is out of ones diet, purslane is a viable alternative for very beneficial nutrients.
Purslane has been used in diets in non Western cultures a very long time: it has been used in Chinese medicine a very long time.

I would not try to live on it by itself, but I do plan to include it in salads and soups: it has a very nice light lemony flavor when fresh. I think it tastes better than spinach or lettuce. I love that it grows in the hot summer when lettuce will not.

I will also feed it to the chickens, too, as part of their diet. Evryone here has to make their own decisions, but I love sharing the information I find on alternative food sources. :)

Is this different that the "purple " stuff

the steps that are involved are:
cutting to length, I use a hack saw
sanding the burrs off
then apply a liquid cleaner (purple stuff) let it dry
apply the glue and twist 1/4 turn when putting the two pieces together (if alignment is important marks can be applied before the cleaner and then twist until the marks are aligned)
some glues require 24 hours before water is applied

I made the mistake of installing the nipple waterers last and that caused burrs to be in the line, install nipples while you can still shake out the pipe
I am still unsure about how much bleach or apple cider vinegar to add to the water to kill the algae without causing the chickens to stop drinking,
anyone want to add more to my explanation feel free

What kind of glue did you use to keep the PVC pipe together for your automatic waterers or feeders?

I think it is called "rain or shine"

Is this different that the "purple " stuff??

The purple stuff is a strong cleaner that only slightly softens the PVC. When applied you can actually scratch the PVC and remove a thin layer, so handle the pieces carefully: scratches can become leak points. I saw someone use nail polish remover for the cleaning step. Before using the cleaner, use a knife or file or sandpaper to smooth the pipe and remove any fragments, then wipe away any remaining grit with a clean soft cloth.

More is not better! Glues should be applied very thinly because when you put the pieces together the inner one will scrape the inside of the other piece: this can cause a big glob of material inside the pipe that impedes water flow. It might also break free eventually and clog up the works. Also, cleaner and glue weaken the pipe when they are beyond
the joint, so it is best not get it all over the place and to clean off any excess.

Finally, when the pipes are glued try to run water through them before setting it up for the chickens: you will notice that the water has a strong chemical smell. Let water flow until the smell dissipates.

When I was rerouting my water for the house, I would cut and smooth the pieces, then do a dry fit. If you dry fit them with hairy edges you can scratch the PVC or get them stuck. Cleaning off the bits only takes a minute and is worth that time! Do not try to apply chemicals in an assembly line fashion: if something takes you away, it can cause you to have to get new pieces.

All these tips were learned were the hard way!

After thought: PVC is not UV stabilized. It needs to be protected from sunlight. It can be painted, or especially good is to use the foam pipe wrap which will help keep the water temp stabilized. I considered using a foil wrap, but then read that rodents and some birds are attracted to the shine... Anyone have experience with that?

Last edited:
<snip>

After thought: PVC is not UV stabilized. It needs to be protected from sunlight. It can be painted, or especially good is to use the foam pipe wrap which will help keep the water temp stabilized. I considered using a foil wrap, but then read that rodents and some birds are attracted to the shine... Anyone have experience with that?
I don't have experience with foil wrap but I do have experience with chickens... as far as the foam pipe wrap is concerned, they will tear it up. So, having water pipes exposed but still protected is something to think about. Perhaps you would have to build a "box" of sorts around the pipe to protect its insulation?

Back
Top Bottom