Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

you might have been looking under the wrong heading. try typing in aquarium plants duckweed. I found quite a few sellers of organic duckweed on craig's list. When I saw the discussion I thought about aquarium because I have several plants in mine.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but ...
I was giving my chickens Bragg's ACV in their water but now they're using chicken nipples, and I don't want ACV going through the metal nipples. So, what should I do to replace their having ACV?? They love yogurt, but chickens can't really process dairy sugar, so they shouldn't really have that either (or so I've read repeatedly). I am thinking of making LAB (Lactose Acid Bacteria) dos anyone else do this??
I've read some people put oregano oil in their water and some people put a few drops of iodine. There are so many options, it's making my head hurt. I will be using a cooler with a pump for a waterer and I just want their water to be fresh/clean and would like to use preventative methods for parasites and cocci.
I also have to decide on what to put down in the nesting boxes. We'll have sand as "litter" but I'm not sure what to use for nesting boxes. I've seen that a lot of people use straw, but is that the most sanitary option? I do know that I will add some herbs (like oregano, lavender, peppermint, lemon balm) to benefit chickens and help keep bugs away.

I was giving my chickens Bragg's ACV in their water but now they're using chicken nipples, and I don't want ACV going through the metal nipples. So, what should I do to replace their having ACV?? They love yogurt, but chickens can't really process dairy sugar, so they shouldn't really have that either (or so I've read repeatedly). I am thinking of making LAB (Lactose Acid Bacteria) dos anyone else do this??
I've read some people put oregano oil in their water and some people put a few drops of iodine. There are so many options, it's making my head hurt. I will be using a cooler with a pump for a waterer and I just want their water to be fresh/clean and would like to use preventative methods for parasites and cocci.
I also have to decide on what to put down in the nesting boxes. We'll have sand as "litter" but I'm not sure what to use for nesting boxes. I've seen that a lot of people use straw, but is that the most sanitary option? I do know that I will add some herbs (like oregano, lavender, peppermint, lemon balm) to benefit chickens and help keep bugs away.
My understanding is that stainless steel is fine with ACV-- it is other metals that will corrode. Honestly I have revamsed my efforts. I use reg cheap vinegar in the water to reduce slime, BUT feed FF as the source of good bacteria , etc. and it is in a higher dosing than just the water as a source. ( ITs' also renewable as I use the back slop to start the next batch. I only used 1/2 cup Braggs for the first batch and have not added more since.)

Nesting boxes-- do need cleaning out time to time. I use what is cheap and available. Shavings, or hay. Occassionally eggs break for various reasons and the thing needs gutting; or a hens uses it for sleeping and a few poops need cleaning out . As the hen does stand to drop her egg I do like a little padding to reduce breakage.

Yogurt is very very good for them and they CAN digest it. What they cannot digest is pasteurized milk products, this is milk without the bacteria. As you know, yogurt is loaded with bacteria. Let them have it. It will prevent cocci if they have a good supply of beneficial bacteria in their gut. I've been raising chickens for 8 years and have never used medicated feed, unless I ran out of non-medicated and my local store didn't carry it. Even then, I only bought a 5 pound bag to hold me over til my order came in. Thank heavens they've started carrying it instead of having to order it for me all the time.

My understanding is that stainless steel is fine with ACV-- it is other metals that will corrode. Honestly I have revamsed my efforts. I use reg cheap vinegar in the water to reduce slime, BUT feed FF as the source of good bacteria , etc. and it is in a higher dosing than just the water as a source. ( ITs' also renewable as I use the back slop to start the next batch. I only used 1/2 cup Braggs for the first batch and have not added more since.)

Nesting boxes-- do need cleaning out time to time. I use what is cheap and available. Shavings, or hay. Occassionally eggs break for various reasons and the thing needs gutting; or a hens uses it for sleeping and a few poops need cleaning out . As the hen does stand to drop her egg I do like a little padding to reduce breakage.
I have regular screw in chicken nipples..I THINK they're stainless steel. I liked adding the ACV, because it was easy and did help keep the water cleaner. FF..is that Fermented Feed? What is that exactly? I read that on here a lot, but am not 100% on what it is. Right now, they're at the end of their organic chick feed and I need to buy them grower feed soon. I just want to get a game plan now that they're no longer "babies" and will be going outside soon. I think I may do hay for the nesting boxes also. Not sure of the price, but it must not be too expensive, because it's what I always see in pics of people's nesting boxes.

Yogurt is very very good for them and they CAN digest it. What they cannot digest is pasteurized milk products, this is milk without the bacteria. As you know, yogurt is loaded with bacteria. Let them have it. It will prevent cocci if they have a good supply of beneficial bacteria in their gut. I've been raising chickens for 8 years and have never used medicated feed, unless I ran out of non-medicated and my local store didn't carry it. Even then, I only bought a 5 pound bag to hold me over til my order came in. Thank heavens they've started carrying it instead of having to order it for me all the time.
Yeah,I won't be giving them medications of any sort unless it's a life or death issue and I HAVE to. Our whole reason for getting the chickens was to have organic eggs and for clean eating. I have lots of plain organic yogurt and they were having it every other day and when I read that it was not good for them becausethey couldn't digest the sugars in dairy..I stopped. I think I'll give them it once a week and see how that goes. Thanks for your advice
smile.png

Quote: Hay is expensive. Prices depend on where you are. I have p aid $10 a bale late last fall, and nothing lower than $7 now. Shavings are running about $5-6 a large bag. I grab scraps of hay that the other animals left or fell when moving bales.

Yes, nipples are stainless steel.

FF is fermented feed. YOu can use commercial lpellets or your own custom mix of grains. THe idea is that the good bacteria works in several ways. It starts to predigest the feed and make it more accessable for the consumer. It innoculates the gut with good bacteria and therefore keeps the bad at bay.

My last batch I didn't like, so I am starting a new batch. Recipes vary, but this is mine.

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar with the mother ( I usually use BRaggs but am trying Heinz today)
turkey pellets, about 4 qt to start with
water to cover grain

WIth commercial pellets, they expand tremendously, So I start with 4 qts in a 5 gal pail. I actually add more, but I just can't remember how much to add, so I just wing it each time. Some folks like a thick porrage, others a very loose soup. I drain my soup to keep the liquid and add more pellets and water.

Stir several times a day. and wait at least 12 hours, ( some wait 48 hours) It bubbles like simmering pot of water on the stove.

I recommend the FF for meaties thread.

Humans have forgotten that we used a great deal of fermented foods for thousands of years before we had freezers and canning. Getting the unpasturized products is a plus too. Fermented flours seem to be more digestable for some people who can't eat standard breads typically available today.

Sourdough breads
pickles
sauerkraut= fermented and cabbage= super healthy
keifer
yogurts
and many more foods

Sorry for the long post-- this is the tip of the ice burg.

Hay is expensive. Prices depend on where you are. I have p aid $10 a bale late last fall, and nothing lower than $7 now. Shavings are running about $5-6 a large bag. I grab scraps of hay that the other animals left or fell when moving bales.

Yes, nipples are stainless steel.

FF is fermented feed. YOu can use commercial lpellets or your own custom mix of grains. THe idea is that the good bacteria works in several ways. It starts to predigest the feed and make it more accessable for the consumer. It innoculates the gut with good bacteria and therefore keeps the bad at bay.

My last batch I didn't like, so I am starting a new batch. Recipes vary, but this is mine.

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar with the mother ( I usually use BRaggs but am trying Heinz today)
turkey pellets, about 4 qt to start with
water to cover grain

WIth commercial pellets, they expand tremendously, So I start with 4 qts in a 5 gal pail. I actually add more, but I just can't remember how much to add, so I just wing it each time. Some folks like a thick porrage, others a very loose soup. I drain my soup to keep the liquid and add more pellets and water.

Stir several times a day. and wait at least 12 hours, ( some wait 48 hours) It bubbles like simmering pot of water on the stove.

I recommend the FF for meaties thread.

Humans have forgotten that we used a great deal of fermented foods for thousands of years before we had freezers and canning. Getting the unpasturized products is a plus too. Fermented flours seem to be more digestable for some people who can't eat standard breads typically available today.

Sourdough breads
pickles
sauerkraut= fermented and cabbage= super healthy
keifer
yogurts
and many more foods

Sorry for the long post-- this is the tip of the ice burg.
Thanks..that was helpful :) I have layers, but I could try doing that with their feed and see how it goes. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom