Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

So very intrigued by the innovation and the posts detailing everyone's ingenuity, I felt compelled to join the new backyard chickens and post my own experiences.

We/I decided to get chickens about a year ago and wanted to go organic as well as use up the scraps/compost that we were generating...seemed like a no-brainer.
About six months ago, we got a juicer. The pulp that comes out of that juicer is amazing as a supplement to the organic layer. It makes up a great 'oatmeal.' My girls jump over each other for the oatmeal.

Now that I have told all our friends that we feed them the juicer pulp; I get free pulp from them in exchange for eggs.

Additionally, I have tried the spent brewing mash route as well (another excuse to go to the brewery). However, most of the mash that I get is either wet, warm or both. So I have built a dryer out of a sheet of plywood and it works great in the summer and (longer) in the winter.

I am interested in getting away from commercial layer feed and would like to make my own "home brew". I checked in at my local feed store and they carry many whole and cracked grains, along with fish meals and soybean meals that I could use to up the protein levels.

However I know nothing about this nor the amounts to make it work. Is there anyone out there that is mixing their own "layer feed" and can you please share? Thanks!

I'm somewhat hesitant to post here because you all sound like you really know what you're doing. I've had my 7 chickens for about 9 months and am still learning, learning, learning.

My biggest question is this: With free-ranging (2-3 hours a day), supplementing with scraps, mealworms, and garden extras will chickens that have access to layer crumble at all times eat less crumble and be satisfied or will they continue to eat the same amount of crumble and get fat? I have always been "frugal" (AKA cheap) and I don't like things to go to waste. I would love to reduce my dependence on purchased feed, but am not really ready to do restricted feeding/rations or whatever you'd call it. Are chickens like fish that will eat themselves to the point of sickness if allowed? I don't get the feeling that they are, but I would love to have some of you knowledgeable folks chime in on this.

Normal chickens won't over-eat the way some animals will. They fill their crops and that's it. (Except for Cornish Cross, but those aren't real chickens). Once they are no longer hungry, they will stop eating.

As far as the concern about "restricted feeding" goes, here's how I like to think of it. It's not really about restricting their feed or feeding them less, it's about using resources other than crumble to feed them. If your chickens are hungry all the time and starving, or egg production is declining sharply, then frankly your not doing it right! Chickens on a good whole food diet will naturally be more satiated and healthy than chickens eating pulverized semi-stale grain bi-products and vitamin supplements.

I think it helps to categorize different food ingredients into a few broad categories, and then come up with a basic recipe--whether it's the Korean Natural Farming system's "greens, fruit, and protein" recipe, or Harvey Ussery's "3 food groups" of "greens, seeds/fruits, and insects/meat," do some research, a little inventory of your resources, and make a "recipe." If you keep it varied and diverse (as well as whole and nutrient dense) that should take care of the trace nutrient concerns. For example, when I include "greens" in my recipe, I always include at least four or half a dozen different kinds of green food (a typical meal might be chard, kale, comfrey, pidgeon pea leaves, and katuk). Feeding a little layer feed can also hedge your bets--but just think of it as a supplement to the "real" feed. A good area to forage should take care of all the rest.

The biggest issue, I think--at least, it was the biggest issue for me--is getting over the fear-based myth of thinking you "aren't going to be able to do it right because you aren't a professional," and starting to think outside the box. Because really, it's not that complicated. Recall that poultry mixes are only a few decades old--and simple farmers everywhere without the internet or a degree in animal nutrition have been keeping chickens for millennia.

Thanks all for sharing your super ideas and experiences. I'm happy people are enjoying and benefitting from this thread! :)

I am interested in getting away from commercial layer feed and would like to make my own "home brew". I checked in at my local feed store and they carry many whole and cracked grains, along with fish meals and soybean meals that I could use to up the protein levels.

However I know nothing about this nor the amounts to make it work. Is there anyone out there that is mixing their own "layer feed" and can you please share? Thanks!

My feed mixes are not grain-based, so I don't have much to offer in that area. But I know Harvey Ussery has some good articles about this if you search on themodernhomestead.us. Also take a look back through the thread, if you haven't already, for some great ideas (mostly non-grain-based).

Last edited:
I believe that the duckweed in question is Lemna minor L aka lesser duckweed". It is found globally and grows well as mentioned. Here in Michigan, it grows in my pond during season and will cover the surface in just a few weeks. It is good as a feed suppliment.
Factoid: Lemna minor L. is the world's smallest flowering plant. (Sorry for rambling, these plants have been a big part of my master's work.)

The Azollaceae you describe is typically called "mosquito fern" and grows under similar conditions as Lemna but is quite a bit larger.
Do you know the Latin name of that plant? I'm wondering if it's the same thing as the Azolla species of water ferns (I believe that it and similar floating plants are often confused, and I've heard them all called "duckweed" by different people). Anyway, I grow some of the Azolla genus plants (not sure the species name), in water basins next to the chicken coop (with a scoop of compost and a few minnows) and use it to feed to the chickens. I got the idea from this article: http://www.agriculturesnetwork.org/magazines/global/small-animals-in-focus/azolla-livestock-feed. Mine definitely do enjoy eating it (it's often the first thing they'll go for if given choices). Right now the only obstacle I seem to have is growing enough of it to meet the demand!
smile.png
I've also tried eating it myself--it has a sort of pleasant, nutty taste.

One caveat I would add is that because of it's rampant growth habit, Azolla can be a REALLY invasive pest if it gets loose into waterways, so depending on your location be careful about that. I have an acquaintance who operates a water garden nursery, and considers it a most noxious weed. Ironically enough, my original plants I got from him, after he succeeded at irradicating it from his property...
smile.png

I also wanted to share some other relevant links.

The first discusses the Korean Natural Farming method of feeding, which I find interesting and which my own current approach is based on:

http://kimcschang.blogspot.com/2010/11/natural-farming-chicken-feed.html

The second is an article by Harvey Ussery that I found particularly insightful and useful (he always writes great articles):

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Making-Poultry-Feeds-1.html

Enjoy!
smile.png

Hey,

Here is what I did to solve that problem.

When the blow and houseflies started to gain ground in my bins, I filled the bin with water and let it sit for a while. I can't remember how long. They drowned but the BSF were just fine when I drained the water off! It also killed the carrion beetle and their larvae, too.

After a while, the BSF numbers were so great, no other flies tried to live in there.

I currently feed my chickens, ducks, and geese a wide variety, and I to have the bucket at the sink lol, they also get the overage from the garden in the summer, now that its winter this is what i feed for grains and such...layer pellet, duck and goose pellet, flax, scratch, c.o.b., kelp tea, apple cider vinegar in the water, black oil sunflower seed, safflower seed, corn on cold nights, flattend barley, crushed oats, and a probiotic powder, and finally diatomaceous earth (food grade of course)

For those interested in using duckweed as a supplemental feed (I'm going to try it this spring in a used preformed plastic "pond" I got for free on craigslist), just google "duckweed lemna". It's fascinating, apparenmtly these tiny plants can have up to 45% protein!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom