Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

As I remember it's the chemicals in the tarp? a pond liner will last far longer than a makeshift anything else. Even concrete has to have a age process right after it's poured to leech out chemicals/ forgot what's involved other than fill, treat and unfilled.. Minnows sound like they would work great- you could still do a above ground to save some work, but i would put it where it would receive shade for a good part of the day, maybe bring in 1/2 doz babies to winter over?

Last edited:
Thank you for that. Definitely something to think about for a small pond as concrete is fairly cheap and I have tons of wire fencing around here.

hmmm... getting my thinking cap on!

a garbage can... burried leaving 6-8 inches up ... then you can grow different levels of fish.

you can use reptile carpet (hot)glued to the sides (before water) to help enforce the levels - (not all the way across)

Then you will need an aerator but a tiny one running to the bottom-

I was wondering about table/garden scraps going into the run. Will that attract other animals like racoons and skunks? And do you hang your pellets/layer feed type food in the run too? Or in the coop? Again, wondering about unwanted varmints. Thanks!

I was wondering about table/garden scraps going into the run. Will that attract other animals like racoons and skunks? And do you hang your pellets/layer feed type food in the run too? Or in the coop? Again, wondering about unwanted varmints. Thanks!

Sky do you have pics of your compost runs? I'm interested in the same. Here's a pic of a few of my chickens first day in their run:

Not sure how long the plastic would last b/c I wouldn't be able to afford the real "pond liner" stuff.
There are companies which install in-ground pools with vinyl linings for people. Now sometimes these pool linings rip and need to be replaced. A pain for the owners. Wonder where the ripped pool lining goes? Is there such a company in your town? Would they be wiling to let you have the damaged lining for a homegrown pool? A neighbor of mine had an above in-ground pool she didn't want and I bought it for 25.00 pump and all. Gave away the pump and threw out the lining( Now that I see this thread, I regret that). I took the fiberglass side wall material for the pool and cut it to length, ... laid it like overlapping scales across the width of my poultry yard...for the entire length of my poultry yard and it made a great weather resistant roof! Looks nice too, blue and white striped.
Hum,
Karen

Last edited:
Concrete and wire is probably the most permant and if you have some already cheapest. If you do go that way there is a fiber you can add to add strength, don't remember what it's called. I vote for trying 3riverschick's idea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom